The Cay Ch. 1-5 test questions
Terms in this set (34)
1. What did Phillip do that he wasn't supposed to do?
disobeyed his mother and left his yard
2. Identify Henrik van Boven.
friend to Phillip; from the Netherlands
3. How was the fort different on this visit than before?
soldiers and police were there
4. What was different at the Queen Emma pontoon bridge?
no one was allowed to be on it
5. Where did Phillip's father work?
6. Where were the Enrights from?
1. What kept Phillip awake most of the night?
the threat of war and the surrounding submarines
2. Why did the Chinese crews on the tankers refuse to sail?
they were afraid they would be blown up by the submarines
3. Identify SS Empire Tern.
the ship which sailed out of the harbor and was blown up by the submarines
4. What effect did the sinking of the Tern have on Phillip?
he became angry and afraid when he realized this war was real
5. What was Phillip's reaction to his mother's telling him they were leaving the island to go home to Norfolk?
he was angry and considered hiding
6. Phillip didn't want to leave Curacao and thought about hiding. Why didn't he hide?
he didn't want to upset his father
7. Identify the SS Hato.
the ship Phillip and his mother boarded to leave Curacao
8. Describe the parting of Phillip and his mother from his dad.
it was emotional and sad for them all
1. When was the Hato torpedoed?
April 6, 1942
2. How did Phillip and his mother get separated?
the boat was struck by a torpedo and Phillip fell off the ship
3. What happened to Phillip as he went into the water?
he was hit in the head by falling boat parts
4. Describe the man Phillip saw when he came to after being hit in the head going into the water.
a black man named Timothy
5. Who was on the raft with Phillip?
Stew Cat and Timothy
6. What did the Negro man call Phillip?
7. What happened to Phillip's mother?
Timothy thinks she made it on to another raft
8. Identify Stew Cat.
he crawled up on the raft
9. What "rare good luck" did Phillip and Timothy have?
flying fish landed in the boat
10. Identify Timothy.
old black man who is stranded on a raft with Timothy
1. Where was Timothy's home?
West Indies (Caribbean Islands)
2. Timothy told Phillip they had something very important to do the next day. What was it?
they had to stay alive
3. The pain went away from Phillip's head, but what happened that was worse?
he went blind
4. What did Timothy say about Phillip's condition?
it was just temporary
5. How did Phillip feel when he realized his condition and what did he do?
he was angry and threw a fit, blaming Timothy
1. What hopeful thing happened toward noon on the third day that Phillip and Timothy were on the raft?
A plane flew over
2. What did Timothy say was bad luck?
3. What did Phillip ask Timothy to tell him? What did Timothy do?
to tell him what he saw
4. What did Phillip wonder?
if he would ever see a bird again
What were the Enrights doing in Curacao?
Phillip's father worked there
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
The Verbs Of English. Past. Irregular. Present. Future.
The Cay Chapter 1-7
The Cay Final Exam Study Questions
5th - The Cay Final Exam Study Questions
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Types of Protozoa
8 Phases of the Moon
Ancient Japan information
The Solar System
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
The Cay Review
"The Cay" Comprehension Questions
The Cay Study Guide CH 10-15
The Cay Study Guide CH: 16-19 and Crossword