5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a) What other art type does Watteau often paint? (b) Describe it.
- What happened to costuming during this period?
- a) Who was Antonio Vivaldi? (b) What great work is he most famous for?
- Who was Thomas Gainsborough?
- Describe the Grand Salon of the Hôtel de Bourvallais by Robert de Cotte.
- a authentic costumes as part of the trend toward greater realism in theater
- b cemmedia dell'arte
improv. comedy which uses stock characters (the innocent girl, the wise servant...)
- c originally trained as a priest, father was a violinist
- d the favorite portrait artist of British high society
- e Rococo, walls encrusted with stucco ornamentation, elaborately carved furniture embellished with guilt bronze
5 Multiple choice questions
- helped bring about 1st school of English painting since the Middle Ages that had more than local importance
- decorative arts
luxurious furnishings, tapestries
5 True/False questions
The first French painter whose paintings are intimate in scale and lighthearted in style and subject was ______________. → Lebrun
The finest pure painter of his era was _________________________________. → Lebrun
(a) Why was there no English sculpture for 200 years? (b) What changed that fact? (c) Why? → vandalism during the Reformation, too little demand afterwards
sculptural patronage grew- they liked sculptures in public places of the culture heros (Shakespeare)
he artist ________________________ is known for his oratorios. → Pepusch
Describe William Hogarth's "new kind of picture." → Charles I hunting-
showed the aristocracy as close to their land, was a privelage to hunt. They are relaxed in a landscape setting