5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is striking about Gilles and Four Other Characters (Pierrot)?
- Name as many characteristics of the Rococo as you can.
- The first French painter whose paintings are intimate in scale and lighthearted in style and subject was ______________.
- Describe William Hogarth's "new kind of picture."
- Who was Thomas Gainsborough?
- a Boucher
- b the favorite portrait artist of British high society
- c modern moral subjects, similar to representations on stage
(Moral lessons through satire)
- d fantasy, small and intimate, light-hearted, tender-minded, whimsy, nostalgia, diversion from real life, escapism to eroticism
- e life-size, you can relate to it, not a stock character
face and pose have poignancy that suggests a sense of alienation
5 Multiple choice questions
- Poussin and Rubens
- Rococo, walls encrusted with stucco ornamentation, elaborately carved furniture embellished with guilt bronze
- small groups of miniature Baroque forms, designed to be viewed at close range
5 True/False questions
(a) Why was there no English sculpture for 200 years? (b) What changed that fact? (c) Why? → Handel
wrote for operas
What happened to costuming during this period? → 1710-1774
What was the effect of the French Rococo on English painting? → stagecraft- scenic design and acting
Compare and contrast the two paintings of Mrs. Siddons. → Lebrun
a) Which painting of this period was influenced most by Rubens? (b) Describe it. → cemmedia dell'arte
improv. comedy which uses stock characters (the innocent girl, the wise servant...)