5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- (a) Who was responsible for creating the ancestor of countless monuments to cultural heros everywhere? (b) Who was this sculpture of? (c) What was its purpose?
- Which artists cast their shadows over the Rococo period?
- Name as many characteristics of the Rococo as you can.
- he artist ________________________ is known for his oratorios.
- What was the effect of the French Rococo on English painting?
- a fantasy, small and intimate, light-hearted, tender-minded, whimsy, nostalgia, diversion from real life, escapism to eroticism
- b Poussin and Rubens
- c helped bring about 1st school of English painting since the Middle Ages that had more than local importance
- d Roubiliac
the sculpture was of Handel (composer)
he made it for the Garden where Handel often played
- e Pepusch
5 Multiple choice questions
wrote for operas
- authentic costumes as part of the trend toward greater realism in theater
5 True/False questions
(a) Who was David Garrick? (b) What did he contribute to the reform of theater? → originally trained as a priest, father was a violinist
How did the Rococo effect sculpture → 1710-1774
Who was Thomas Gainsborough? → the favorite portrait artist of British high society
a) The Rococo flourished first and foremost in what area? (b) Describe what is meant by this term. → decorative arts
luxurious furnishings, tapestries
What were the major contributions of Rococo theater? → stagecraft- scenic design and acting