2. Introduce yourself to the resident.
3. Perform hand hygiene.
a. Cover all surfaces of hands with hand sanitizer.
b. Rub hands together until hands are completely dry.
4. Explain the procedure to the resident. (manikin)
5. Provide for privacy.
6. Raise the bed height
7. Fill basin with warm water.
8. Put on gloves.
9. Direct RN Test Observer to stand on opposite side of the bed or raise side rail on opposite side of bed.
a. RN Test Observer DOES NOT move into position unless directed to do so by the candidate.
10. Turn resident or raise hips and place barrier (candidate will choose barrier such as a towel, water proof pad,
chux, etc.) under buttocks.
11. Expose perineum only.
12. Separate labia.
13. Use water and soapy washcloth.
14. Clean one side of labia from top to bottom.
15. Use a clean portion of a washcloth, clean other side of labia from top to bottom.
16. Use a clean portion of a washcloth, clean the vaginal area from top to bottom.
17. Use a clean washcloth, rinse one side of labia from top to bottom.
18. Use a clean portion of a washcloth, rinse other side of labia from top to bottom.
19. Use a clean portion of a washcloth, rinse the vaginal area from top to bottom.
20. Pat dry.
21. Avoid over exposure throughout the procedure.
22. Assist resident to turn onto side away from the candidate.
a. RN Test Observer may help hold the manikin on its side ONLY after the candidate has turned the
23. Use a clean washcloth.
24. Use water, washcloth and soap.
25. Clean from vagina to rectal area.
26. Use a clean portion of a washcloth with any stroke.
27. Use a clean washcloth, rinse from vagina to rectal area.
28. Use a clean portion of a washcloth with any stroke.
29. Pat dry.
30. Safely remove barrier from under buttocks.
31. Position resident (manikin) on her back.
32. Dispose of soiled linen in designated laundry hamper.
33. Empty equipment.
34. Rinse equipment.
35. Dry equipment.
36. Return equipment to storage.
37. Remove gloves, turning inside out.
38. Dispose of gloves in appropriate container.
39. Lower bed, if it was raised.
40. Maintain respectful, courteous interpersonal interactions at all times.
41. Place call light or signaling device within reach of resident.
42. Wash hands: Begin by wetting hands.
43. Wash hands: Apply soap to hands.
44. Wash hands: Rub hands together using friction.
45. Wash hands: Rub hands together for at least twenty (20) seconds.
46. Wash hands: Interlace fingers pointing downward.
47. Wash hands: Wash all surfaces of hands with soap.
48. Wash hands: Wash wrists with soap.
49. Wash hands: Rinse hands thoroughly under running water with fingers pointed downward.
50. Wash hands: Dry hands on clean paper towel(s).
51. Wash hands: Turn off faucet with a clean, dry paper towel.
52. Wash hands: Discard paper towels to trash container as used.
53. Washes hands: Does not re-contaminate hands by touching faucet or sink at any time during/after the
hand washing procedure.