Create an account
Procaine (Ester-Type) / Lidocaine (Amide-Type) --> Therapeutic Use
--> Different drugs can be used for surface, infiltration, nerve block, epidural, and spinal anesthesia
--> Lidocaine is also used to treat cardiac arrhythmia
Procaine / Lidocaine --> MOA
--> Blocks Na+ channels in neurons to prevent the entry of Na+ ions that cause the depolarization phase of the action potential
Adverse Effects of Esters (Ex. Procaine)
1) Allergic Reactions (Especially on second administration)
2) Shorter duration of action
Adverse Effects of Amides (Ex. Lidocaine)
1) Allergic Reactions (Less than Esters)
2) Low concentrations entering the circulation produce DROWSINESS, DISORIENTATION, AND EXCESSIVE TALKATIVENESS, but the patient should only be monitored for toxicity IF it occurs
3) High concentrations entering the circulation produce RESTLESSNESS, TREMORS, AND SEIZURES
4) Extremely high concentrations entering the circulation produce RESPIRATORY FAILURE, CARDIOVASCULAR COLLAPSE, AND DEATH due to the depression of the cardiovascular and respiratory centers of the brain.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together