Create an account
- Physical activity can influence psycho-social development both positively and negatively.
- Thus, physical education instructors must create an environment that maximizes the benefits of physical activity and minimizes the potential negative aspects.
Positive Individual Influences
- Reduces tension and depression
- Provides means of affiliation with others
- Provides exhilarating experiences
- Provides aesthetic experiences
- Creates positive body image
- Controls aggression
- Provides relaxation and a change of pace from long hours of work, study or other stresses
- Provides challenge and sense of accomplishment
- Provides a way to be healthy and fit
- Improves self-eteem through skill mastery
- Provides creative experiences
- Creates positive addiction to exercise in contrast to negative addiction to substances
Positive Group Influences
- Development of cooperation skills
- Acceptance of and respect for all persons regardless of race, creed, or origin
- Assimilation of the group attitude
- Opportunity to develop a group relationship
- Development of a spirit of fairness
- Development of traits of good citizenship
- Development of leadership and following skills
- Development of self-discipline
- Additional avenues for social acquaintances
- Development of social poise and self-understanding
- Development of a social consciousness with an accompanying sense of values
- Individual and social development
- Ego-centered athletes
- Winning at all costs
- False values
- Harmful pressures
- Loss of identity
- Role conflict
- Aggression and violence
- Addiction to exercise, where commitment to exercise has a higher priority than commitments to family, interpersonal relationships, work, and medical advice
- Escape or avoidance of problems
- Exacerbation of anorexia nervosa
- Exercise deprivation effects
- Poor eating habits
- Preoccupation with fitness, diet, and body image
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together