Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
english II unit 5 quiz 2
Terms in this set (24)
What is the point of view from Call of the Wild?
Choose the quotations from Call of the Wild that explain Buck's inner thoughts, feelings, or motivations.
1. "He had traveled too often with the Judge not to know the sensation of riding in a baggage car."
2. "But his strength ebbed, his eyes glazed, and he knew nothing when the train was flagged and the two men threw him into the baggage car."
3. "Never in all his life had he been so vilely treated, and never in all his life had he been so angry."
What is the point of view of the selection from "The Adventure of the Speckled Band"?
It is Dr. ______ telling the story.
What is the effect of the point of view of the story by Doyle?
The reader is privy to only Dr. Watson's thoughts.
a character's thoughts written down in words
Dialogue often times causes a distraction from character development.
gives reader hints of clues as to what will happen later in the story
keeps the reader engaged by quick action the author creates
most things in life do not run according to plan
challenges or choices that test the protagonist
shows the main character's feelings in tense, anxiety-filled situations
The element of __________ is created in the selection from "The Monkey's Paw" through the use of ominous sensory details.
The purpose of _________ monologue is to allow the reader to understand a character's inner thoughts.
It is through the extensive and careful use of __________ that reveals that Faith is reluctant to let her husband go out this evening.
The author _______________ by implying that Goodman Brown's journey will be dangerous and that harm might come to his wife.
Select all the words, other than said, that are used to indicate a character is speaking.
replied, cried, whisper
NOT shrieked or screamed
The ____________ reveals that Goodman Brown feels guilty about going out tonight.
Select five creative synonyms for the word said.
voice, declare, speak, utter, remark
Select five creative synonyms for the word asked.
request, inquire, quiz, query, interrogate
Select all the phrases from "A Gray Sleeve" that provide examples of sensory language.
1. little puffs of smoke of a dull hue in this gloom of sky
2. tense, low-toned commands or appeals of the men to their horses
3. noise of the scudding hoofs
Select all the phrases from "A Gray Sleeve" that provide examples of figurative language.
1. the innumerable hoofs thundered in a swift storm of sound
2. the eternal barking of the far-away sharpshooters
3. The bugler, . . . fought and tugged like a wrestler to keep his frantic animal from bolting far ahead of the column.
The sensory and ___________ language enhances the wartime setting, causing it to have a tense, dangerous feeling.
A writer should show characters' actions and emotions through the use of __________ rather than directly telling the reader about them.
sensory and figurative language
Other sets by this creator
English U5 Pt. 2
english II unit 5 quiz 1
English II Practice Test Unit Four
english II unit 4 quiz 2