Personal right of the DEFENDANT and is WAIVABLE.
1) only issue with out of state D's
2) if D substantially participated on meritsm of case, D deemed to have waived personal juries objection. Can also waive by consent or contract.
3) if individually physically in state, jurisdiction applies.
4) corps doing business in NC
5) NC LONG ARM STATUTE: express authorization over out of state D if, act and injury occurs in NC, act occurs outside, but injury occurs in. NC, act arose out of contract to (1) perform services in NC, 2) to ship to/from NC, 3) event causing loss occurred in NC), acts arising from NC insurance claims, and other statuary grounds so long as. Due process met.
NC is a notice pleading state, ie notice but be sufficiently particular.
-if $, just put say "in excess of $10,000", or dollar amount if less.
-Pleading with particularity: fraud, duress, mistake, special damages(particular cirucmstances must be said)punitive damages(state aggravating factor, but limit$ to "in excess of 10k", medical malpractice.
Party has 30 days to file an answer(includes responses to allegations, affirmative defense, defenses, counterclaims)
Responses are(admit, deny, state no knowledge, or admit in part and deny in part)