Only $2.99/month

Study Guide for AAC final

Terms in this set (49)

•As stated earlier, schools are required to ensure that the child has access to his or her device, but this does NOT mean the school has to necessarily pay for the device. Typically, Health Benefit Plans and Medicaid are the preferred funding sources, allowing schools to use their funding resources for AAC services.

•What if a school does not agree that a child should receive a SGD, but the parents believe a SGD is needed ?
•If a school does not agree that a child should receive a SGD, the parents can appeal the decision (please see below). There are also a number of other possible funding sources, including telecommunications equipment distribution programs and state vocational rehabilitation programs.

•What if an SGD is not recommended? What funding supports are available for other AAC services?
•If it is determined that other AAC services are more appropriate than a SGD (e.g., the child will be provided with a picture display, the team will receive training in the use of sign language) then the funding for these services is the responsibility of the school.

•How can a parent file a complaint if a school does not comply with IDEA or Title II?
•If a parent believes that their child would benefit from a SGD and that the school has not complied with IDEA or Title II, they can begin a dispute resolution process. Contact should be made with the child's school to find out what can be done or who can be contacted at the school to help the child.

•Dispute resolution resources can be found on the U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs "Center for Parent Information of Resources"