Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Community Pharmacy (Class A)
Terms in this set (17)
What is considered a new prescription drug order? Why is it important to identify it?
1. Prescription that has never been filled
2. Prescription that has different dose/strength etc
3. Refill for an old script (a year or older script)
Identifying is important as counseling is required by law
Can you be a PIC for two different pharmacies at the same time?
Generally no, with two exceptions
1. If the pharmacies are open at different hours of the day (no overlapping hours of operation)
2. In state of emergency for 30 consecutive days only.
What distinguishes a PIC from a staff pharmacist?
1. Staff pharmacist is responsible for activities that occurred during their shift only PIC is responsible for activities even off duty.
2. PIC is responsible for controlled substance inventory
Can a technician take a verbal order?
- Only a state certified technician on new Rx orders (non-controlled)
- Can also transfer prescriptions for non-controlled drugs
What is the pharmacist to technician ratio?
1:6 (up to 3 of the techs can be trainees)
Can you do a therapeutic drug interchange in a community pharmacy?
Not on your own, you must talk to the prescriber in order to do so.
How long should prescription hard copies be stored?
At least 2 years in the facility and has to be provided within 72 hours up on request.
Can you put your prescription hard copies all together in one bundle?
No! C-IIs must be stored separated from everything else. C-III -C-V can legally be put together with dangerous drugs as long as they have some sort of mark that easily identifies them.
Best practice is to separate CIII -CV, separate Rx only dangerous drugs and separate your OTC prescriptions like what walmart does.
What prescriptions coming from tele health visit can't be filled in a community pharmacy?
1. Anything that terminates pregnancy
2. Chronic pain management with any controlled drug
What prescription orders can come through fax?
Everything except C-II at any circumstance.
CIII- CIV in emergency situations [ technically all controls should come electronically unless they have exeptions]
What must be in a hard copy of a prescription for an animal?
Owner's name and species of the animal
When should physical address (not PO Box) be written on a hard copy prescription?
For every patient on all controls.
For new patient on dangerous drugs.
What are the rules around emergency refills?
1. 72 hour rule (loners for 3 days)
2. 30 day rule in State declared state of emergency
For what drugs can you set your patient on auto-refills on?
On all drugs except CII and CIII
What are the rules on accelerated refills? Commonly called 30 to 90 conversion.
1. you can do it on all drugs except controlled drugs, psychotropic drugs and patient should be 18 or older
2. Can't dispense higher quantity than what is prescribed for.
How can prescribers from Mexico and Canada send their prescriptions to be filled in Texas pharmacy?
Written only. No phone or fax or even electronically.
Only dangerous drugs
How can a pharmacist participating in Drug Therapy Management prescribe a medication?
Written or electronic, no verbal or fax.
Other sets by this creator
Advanced Hospital APPE