Which is the correct series of reactions in fatty acid synthesis?
A. condensation, reduction, dehydration, reduction
B. reduction, hydration, reduction, thiolysis
C. condensation, oxidation, dehydration, oxidation
D. oxidation, hydration, oxidation, thiolysis
E. condensation, reduction, hydration, reduction
What are the products of β-oxidation of a C21fatty acid?
A. 10acetyl CoA, 9(NADH + H+), 9FADH2
B. 1 propionyl CoA, 9acetyl CoA, 9(NADH + H+), 9FADH2
C. 2 propionyl CoA, 7acetyl CoA, 5(NADH + H+), 5FADH2
D. 1 propionyl CoA, 9acetyl CoA, 8(NADH + H+), 8FADH2
E. 1 propionyl CoA, 10acetyl CoA, 9(NADH + H+), 9FADH2
Select the grouping of the following statements that applies most inclusively to β-oxidation of fatty acids.
1. Before oxidation, fatty acids must be converted to their CoA derivatives.
2. Carbon atoms are removed pairwise from the methyl (ω) end of the acyl chain.
3. For odd chain-length fatty acids, propionyl CoA is one of the final products.
4. It takes place in the cytosol of mammalian liver.
5. The 2-carbon products of β-oxidation can directly enter the TCA cycle for further oxidation.
A. 3 and 5
B. 1, 2, and 5
C. 1, 3, and 5
D. 2, 3, and 5
E. 1, 4, and 5
After a 3-day fast (i.e you are completely devoid of glycogen stores),which of the following lists the components that are required for making glycogen in the liver following a carbohydrate rich meal?
A. glycogen phosphorylase, glycogenin, and glycogen synthase
B. glucokinase, glycogen synthase, branching enzyme
C. glycogenin, glycogen phosphorylase, and debranching enzyme
D. debranching enzyme, glycogen synthase, and glycogenin
E. branching enzyme, phosphoglucomutase, and glycogen phosphorylase