Create an account
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
-Caused by R. rickettsii carried by dog tick/ wood tick (arthropods)
<>incubation: One week
<>Initial Sxns: Fever, headache, maculopapular rash
<> Chronic sxns: splenomegaly and neurological involvement with spread of intravascular coagulation. Shock and death.
-Fatal cases are usually those with delayed diagnosis
-Gram-negative coiled shaped
<> Transmission: Hard ticks (genus Ixodes) on mice or deer
1st degree: low-grade fever, aches, bulls-eye rash→ 'Erythema Chronicum Migrans' at bite site. Most treatable at this stage.
2nd degree: Arthritis, Bell's palsy, cardiac manifestations
3rd degree: Neurological damage, cardiac damage, mimics MS
<>Protozoal infections → four types of plasmodium that cause malaria:
1) Plasmodium vivax
2) P. ovale
3) P. malariae
4) P. falciparum (most virulent)
<>Vector: Female Anopheles mosquito
<>Definitive host: Anopheles mosquito
<>Intermediate host: humans
Malaria can be transmitted by blood transfusion and needle accidents (very rarely mother to fetus)
Malaria: Life cycle
1)sporozoites (inside saliva of infected mosquito) injected into human bloodstream
2) they enter the liver. Mature → merozoites which are released into the bloodstream (some lie dormant in liver →hypnozoites)
3) the merozoites → RBCs,multiply, and release merozoites back into the bloodstream; this cycle may last for months or even years
4) some merozoites initiate the sexual stage in the RBCs. Form male and female gamaetocytes
5) the sexual cycle is completed when an Anopheles mosquito feeds on the gametocyte containing blood; they form a zygote that divides to give rise to sporozoites migrating to the salivary glands and initiating the cycle again
South American trypanisomiasis
<>Transmission: bite of the Kissing Bug
Common to Central & South America
<>Caused by Trypanisoma cruzi
<>Acute & chronic forms
<>Initial Symptoms:fever, swelling of one eye, swelling of bite site
<>Chronic: infects heart and intestines, major cause of death = myocarditis
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together