intra-cranial volume cannot expand
what contribute to ICP (intra cranial pressure)?
brain (80%) + blood (10%) + CSF (10%)
list treatments for excessive ICP
- restrict fluid to 1/2 or 1/3 normalreqmts, monitor I/O closely
- osmotic diuretics (mannitol)
- hyperventilation: vasoconstriction from decr CO2
- CSF drain/tap (ventriculostomy): beware brain herniation via foramen magnum
- surgical removal of obstruction (if present)
- anti-seizure meds (seizure is common)
when swelling occurs, what happens first?
CSF is displaced (CSF is 10% of total head vol)
is it OK to drain all CSF?
yes, temporarily... CSF is not essential, we can live w/out it, and choroid plexus will regenerate more
how fast is CSF made?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.