Create an account
1. Short, balanced 4 bar phrases
2. 2 or more contrasting themes in a movement
3. Predictable and simple
5. No improvisation
1. Major/Minor tonalities
2. Contrast of tonic/dominant keys
4. Strong tonal centre
5. Harmonic stability
1. Clearly defined and regular
2. Many rhythmic patterns
3. Sudden and gradual shifts in note lengths
4. Unexpected pauses
1. Fortepiano replaces harpsichord
2. String quartet
3. Classical orchestra: "Noah's ark"
4. Variety and rapid changes
5. Contrast between brass, woodwind and string sections
1. Several movements contrasting in character and tempo
2. Often fast, slow, dance-related, fast
3. Symphony (4 mvmnts)
4. Sonata (2-4 mvmnts)
5. String quartet
6. Ternary form
7. Theme and variations
8. Minuet and trio
9. Rondo form
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together