Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Personal and Community Health Test #1
Terms in this set (20)
3 Factors Involved in making Health Changes and a Description of Each
1. Predisposing Factors- the beliefs, values, attitudes, knowledge, and perceptions that influence our behavior
2. Enabling Factors - the skills, resources, and physical and mental capabilities that shape our behavior
3. Reinforcing Factors - rewards, encouragement, and recognition that influence our behavior in the short run
Describe any of the 3 Dimensions of Health
Physical Health - an optimal state of physical, mental, and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity
Psychological health refers to both our emotional and mental states- our feelings and our thoughts
Refers to the impact your world has on your well-being
What is the difference between health and wellness?
Health is a state of complete well-being. Wellness is a deliberate lifestyle choice
Describe emotional health and give 3 characteristics of emotionally healthy people
Emotional health is the ability to express and acknowledge one's feelings and moods and exhibit compassion for others.
Characteristics of emotionally health people:
1.Determination and effort to be healthy
2. Flexibility and adaptability to a variety of circumstances
3. Compassion for others 'the ability to be unselfish in serving or relating to others'
Describe mental health and give 3 characteristics of Mental health
Mental health is the ability to perceive reality as it is, respond to its challenges, and develop rational strategies.
1. Ability to function and carry out responsibilities
2. The ability to form relationships
3. the ability to change and to cope with adversity
Difference between Conscientiousness and Extraversion
Conscientiousness is striving for competence and achievement, self discipline, orderliness, and reliability. People with conscientiousness are more likely to wear seat belts, get enough sleep, and drive safely. Extraversion is being active, talkative, and assertive. People with extraversion are more likely to drink more, smoke, and engage in risky sexual behaviors.
List and Describe four Aspects of Health that Sleep impacts
1. Learning and memory - Sleeping help your brain consolidate new information
2. Metabolism and weight - You gain more weight with less sleep.
3. Safety - You will fall asleep during the daytime if you don't fall asleep at night. This can cause falls, medical errors, air traffic mishaps, and road accidents
4. Immunity - You are 3x more likely to catch a cold if you get less than 7 hours of sleep a night.
What's the difference between depression and bipolar disorder?
Depression is a state of feeling sad. Characteristics include, feeling depress, losing interest, and eating more or less than usual. Bipolar disorder is a series of mood swing that may take individual from manic states of feeling euphoric and energetic to depressive states of utter despair. Characteristics including changes in thinking, mood swings, and changes in physical condition.
Describe the teenage and 20 something brain.
1. The teenage brain is a work in progress.
2. Teen brains rely on the amygdala.
3. Older individuals' brains rely on the front cortex.
4 Characteristics of Mentally Healthy People
1. People who value themselves
2. See reality as it is
3. Accept their limitations and possibilities.
4. Establish and maintain close relationships.
Difference between an obsession and a compulsion
An obsession is a recurring idea, thought, or image that the person realizes, at least initially, is senseless. Compulsions are a repetitive behavior performed according to certain rules or in a stereotyped fashion.
4 Possible Causes of Suicide
2. Family problems
3. Expose to trauma or stress
4. Feelings of loneliness or social isolation
What is a mental disorder?
Mental disorder - a behavioral or psychological syndrome associated with distress or disability or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or loss of freedom.
Most effective way to banish a bad mood
Change what caused it in the first place. Ask 'What can I do to fix the failure' ' What can I do to remedy the loss?' ' Is there anything under my control that I can change?' If so take action and solve it.
How is precontemplation different from contemplation?
Precontemplation is the stage of change where you have no intention of making a change. Contemplation is when you start to realize that you need to change, but you do not want to change.
Self-compassion is a healthy form of self-acceptance in the face of perceived inadequacy or failure. It is being kind to yourself in the face of suffering and practicing treating yourself with the kindness usually reserved for others.
4 Methods of Overcoming Problems of the Mind
2. Peer support
3. Virtual Support
4. Books and websites
Assertiveness means that your recognize your feelings and make your needs and desires clear to others. It respects your rights and the rights of other people even when you disagree. An assertive person would say "I clearly express that we both have rights and needs."
Key contributors to depression in college students:
2. Too little sleep
3. Academic and athletic pressures
the tendency to seek out, remember, and expect pleasurable experiences
Sets with similar terms
Chapter 2: Psychological and Spiritual well-being
Health Chapters 1-6
UTS Mental Health and Coping
Other sets by this creator
Personal and Community Health: Test 2
Human A&P Chapters 3 and 4
Chapter 2 Practice Questions
Review Questions for Chapter 1