Create an account
- Function: carries impulse for sense of smell (sensory)
- Testing: person asked to sniff various aromatic substances
- Function: carries impulses for vision (sensory)
- Testing: eye chart testing, visual field testing
- Function: fibers to the superior, inferior and medical rectus muscles of the eye and to the smooth muscle controlling lens shape; medial and vertical eye mvmts (motor); proprioception of the eye (sensory)
- Testing: pupil sizes are compared for shape and equality; pupillary reflex tested; visual tracking tested
- Function: proprioceptor and motor fibers for superior oblique muscle of the eye; downward and inward eye mvmts
- Testing: tested w/CN 3 relative to following moving objects
- Function: motor and sensory for face, conducts sensory sensory impulses from mouth, nose, eyes; motor fibers for muscles of mastication; ctrl of jaw mvmts
- Testing: pain, touch and temp tested w/proper stimulus; corneal reflex tested w/a wisp of cotton; person asked to move jaw through full ranges of motion
- Function: motor and proprioceptor fibers to/from lateral rectus muscle; lateral eye mvmts
- Testing: tested in conjunction w/CN 3 relative to moving eye laterally
- Function: mixed (sensory and motor): sensory fibers to taste buds and anterior 2/3 of tongue; motor fibers to muscles of facial expression and to salivary glands
- Testing: check symmetry of face, ask person to attempt various facial expressions; sweet, salty, sour and bitter substances applied to tongue to test tasting ability
- Function: transmits impulses for senses of equilibrium and hearing (sensory)
- Testing: hearing checked w/tuning fork
- Function: motor fibers for pharynx and salivary glands; sensory fibers for pharynx and posterior tongue; taste sensation for sweet, bitter, sour
- Testing: gag and swallow reflexes checked; posterior one third of tongue tested for taste
- Function: sensory/motor impulses for larynx and pharynx; parasympathetic motor fibers supply smooth muscles of abdominal organs; sensory impulses from viscera
- Testing: tested in conjunction w/CN 9
11: Spinal Accessory
- Function: sensory/motor fibers for sternocleidomastoid, trapezius muscles, muscles of soft palate, pharynx and larynx; mvmt of neck and shoulders
- Testing: sternocleidomastoid and trapezius muscle testing
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together