5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sacco and Vanzetti
- Louis Armstrong
- George Gershwin
- Georgia O'Keefe
- Ohio Gang
- a A Jazz Age composer who was the son of Russian immigrants and, like many others during his time, mixed symphony and jazz together to create an entirely new style.
- b Artist who produced intensely colored canvases that captured the grandeur of New York
- c Two Italian anarchists who were convicted of murder and robbery with questionable evidence and a biased judge. The trial is an example of growing nativism during the 1920s.
- d Warren Harding's corrupt "advisors" who played poker, drank, and smoked with him in the White House
- e A brilliant African American musician who helped create jazz
5 Multiple choice questions
- African American blues singer who played and important role in the Harlem Renaissance.
- This tariff rose the rates on imported goods in the hopes that domestic manufacturing would prosper. This prevented foreign trade, which hampered the economy since Europe could not pay its debts if it could not trade.
- a government scandal involving a United States Navy oil reserve in Wyoming that was secretly leased to private oil companies in 1921 by Secretary of the Interior Albert Fall; became symbolic of the scandals of the Harding administration
- A cheap and simple car designed by Ford. It allowed for more Americans to own a car.
- A rebirth of African American culture during the 1920s.
5 True/False questions
Boston Police Strike → Boston police had not been given a raise since before WWI and were denied the right to unionize; when asked for a raise, they were fired; organized and striked; instead of getting what they wanted, new police were hired. MA Governor Calvin Coolidge called in the National Guard to end the strike.
Ku Klux Klan → Secret society that was pro-American and targeted people that were foreign, communist, African-American, or Catholic.
Nativism → the belief that native-born Americans are superior to immigrants. This grew in the 1920s and led to limits on immigration.
Emergency Quota Act → Defense attorney for John Scopes, defended Darwin and his idea of Evolution in the Scopes Monkey Trial
talkie → Form of mass media that grew popular in the 1920s. Created a shared national experience among Americans. Allowed Americans to listen to news as it happened, like sporting events and presidential speeches.