Create an account
1. Underground foundation of a plant;
2. Anchors plant in the soil;
3. Absorbs water and minerals
Mass of cells at the end of the root that protects it as it grows and puches its way through the soil
1. Supports the plant's leaves and flowers (necessary for leaves to get light from the sun for photosynthesis)
2. Part of the plant that connects its roots and its leaves
Transport System of a Plant
As a group, the xylem and phloem cells form the transport system of a plant
Differentiate between Taproot and Fibrous Root
Taproot: root that is long, thick, and goes straight down. ex: carrot, dendelion
Fibrous Root: fine roots that branch out and cover a large area ex: grasses
Types of stems
1. Woody: hard stems covered by bark, not easily bendable
2. Herbaceous: green soft and bendable stems; ex: buttercup
1. Tuber stem: potatoes
2. Bulb stem: onion
3. Rhizome stem: ginger
4. Succulent stem: cactus
Importance of Plants
1. Primary source of food for people and animals
2. Produce oxygen
3. Help keep us cool
4. Renew the air
1. Slow wind speed
2. Shelter for wildlife
3. Beautify surroundings
4. Furnishings and buildings (wood)
5. Plant sap is used for resins and latexes
Annual Plants and Trees
Annual plants and trees grow, make flowers fruit, and seeds all in one season. They do NOT return the following year.
Plants: tomato, pansy
Biannual Plants and Trees
Biennial plants and trees need 2 years to complete full lifecycle.
Plants: forget-me-not, parsley
Perennial Plants and Trees
Perennials come back year after year without having to be replanted.
Plants: tulip, rose
Deciduous Plants and Trees
Deciduous plants and trees lose their leaves during the Fall and bloom in Spring.
Trees: Oak, Maple
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together