5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- atomic number
- molecular formula
- a The number of protons in an atom.
- b Indicates the elements and the number of atoms of each element that make up a molecule.
- c Two or more atoms sharing electrons.
- d The science of the structure and interactions of matter.
- e Atoms of an element that have different numbers of neutrons and therefore different mass numbers; most of them are stable and do not change over time.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An atom or group of atoms with an unpaired electron in the outermost shell; makes the atom unstable, highly reactive, and destructive to nearby molecules.
- Anything that occupies space and has mass.
- The eight lesser elements in the human body.
- The regions outside the nucleus that electrons move about in; depicted as simple circles around the nucleus; each region holds a specific number of electrons (2.8.18).
- Negatively charged particles located in a cloud, moving about the nucleus of an atom.
5 True/False questions
subatomic particles → The dozens of particles that compose atoms, namely protons, neutrons, and electrons.
atomic mass (atomic weight) → The number of protons in an atom.
chemical symbol → The building blocks of all forms of matter -- both living and nonliving; cannot be split into a simpler substance by ordinary chemical means.
neutrons (n⁰) → Negatively charged particles located in a cloud, moving about the nucleus of an atom.
compound → Two or more atoms sharing electrons.