5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- dalton (atomic mass unit)
- electron shells
- a The regions outside the nucleus that electrons move about in; depicted as simple circles around the nucleus; each region holds a specific number of electrons (2.8.18).
- b Radioisotopes used to follow movements of certain substances through the body.
- c Two or more atoms sharing electrons.
- d The standardized unit of measurement for the mass of atoms and their subatomic particles.
- e The smallest units of matter that retain the properties and characteristics of the elements.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The number of protons in an atom.
- The dense central core of an atom where protons and neutrons are located.
- The building blocks of all forms of matter -- both living and nonliving; cannot be split into a simpler substance by ordinary chemical means.
- The eight lesser elements in the human body.
- The process of giving up or gaining electrons.
5 True/False questions
ion → The amount of matter in any object; never changes.
mass → The smallest units of matter that retain the properties and characteristics of the elements.
protons (p⁺) → Uncharged (neutral) particles located within the nucleus of an atom.
trace elements → The elements that make up the last .4% of the mass of the body.
chemical symbol → One or two letters of an element's name in English, Latin, or another language (ex. H for Hydrogen, Ne for Neon, or K for Potassium).