Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (30)
Why is there less income inequality in Sweden than in America?
- Workers there are more similar in their talents.
- Employers do not care about profits.
- Swedish political culture believes the government should guarantee a basic standard of living.
- Education levels are much lower in Sweden.
- Political parties are stronger in the United States.
Swedish political culture believes the government should guarantee a basic standard of living.
Which of the following statements about economic equality applies most accurately to Americans?
- A majority of Americans believe that all people should be paid on the basis of their economic needs: "equality of results."
- A majority of Americans believe that everyone has the right to get ahead: "equality of opportunity."
- A majority of Americans believe in the preferential treatment of women and minorities in hiring: "equality of access."
- A majority of Americans believe in the idea of having a limit on what people can earn: "equality of wealth."
- A majority of Americans believe that citizens who participate in politics should have guaranteed income: "equality of participants."
A majority of Americans believe that everyone has the right to get ahead: "equality of opportunity."
Which of the following does the United States have that the United Kingdom does not?
- Armed forces
- Independent judiciary
- Written constitution
- Treaties with other nations
- Bicameral legislature
Which of the following best characterizes the southern government established after secession from the Union?
- The government was radically different than the Constitution.
- The government was closely modeled after the Constitution.
- The government was based on direct democracy.
- The government was based on the English parliamentary system.
- The government established a military dictatorship.
The government was closely modeled after the Constitution.
Most Americans consider themselves part of what?
- The lower class
- The middle class
- The upper class
- The silent majority
- The moral majority
The middle class
Americans have a comparatively low degree of what?
- Material acquisitiveness
- Social conformity
- Class consciousness
- Geographic mobility
- Capitalist instinct
Alexis de Tocqueville argued in Democracy in America that democracy endured in the United States because of geography, laws, and what else?
- "The simplicity of Americans"
- "Extensive commerce with other nations"
- "The cleverly written Constitution of the people"
- "The manners and customs of the people"
- "American love of music and dancing"
"The manners and customs of the people"
Which political difference among nations is the most difficult to summarize?
- Political differences among nations are equally difficult to summarize.
Political differences among nations are equally difficult to summarize.
Religious diversity developed in the United States due to the absence of what?
- State funding of religious institutions
- Strong state governments
- Strong central government
- Established aristocracy
- Charismatic religious leaders
State funding of religious institutions
Who explained the rise of capitalism in part by what he called the Protestant ethic?
- Karl Marx
- Milton Friedman
- Max Weber
- Janet Yellen
- John Keynes
Which of the following is a possible explanation for the success of democracy in early America?
- The lack of a national army
- Strict immigration laws
- Low population levels
- Moderate temperatures
- The availability of land
The availability of land
During the 1730s and 1740s, the political life of the American colonies was transformed by what?
- Industrialization in the north
- War with France
- A religious revivalist movement called the First Great Awakening
- The introduction of slavery
- The American independence movement
A religious revivalist movement called the First Great Awakening
The distrust of political authority in American political culture has its basis in what?
- English political culture
- Religious beliefs
- Authoritarian beliefs
Which basic element of U.S. political culture holds that people ought to take community affairs seriously and contribute when able to do so?
- Civic duty
What was considered the dominant religious tradition in early America?
- Protestantism, especially Presbyterianism
- Protestantism, especially Puritanism
- Protestantism, especially Lutheranism
- Protestantism, especially the Church of England
Protestantism, especially Puritanism
Sets with similar terms
ap gov chapter 4 quiz
AP gov chapter 4
AP Gov Unit 4
Chapter 4: American Political Culture
Sets found in the same folder
Other sets by this creator
Floral CDE Bank (2022-2026)
EXAM 3 STUDY GUIDE
AP Bio 2