The Speckled Band Vocabulary
anger, bitterness, or ill will
1. to make a reply, especially a quick, caustic, or witty one 2. to return like for like; retaliate
a large city
the drawing of a conclusion by reasoning
immediate understanding or knowing without reasoning
1. occurring or existing before the normal or expected time 2. impulsive or hasty: a premature judgment
looking weary and wasted
1. crowded closely together; compact. 2. hard to penetrate; thick.
1. of little significance or value. 2. ordinary; commonplace.
overindulging in disgraceful or immoral activities
1. one's usual mood; temperament. 2. A habitual inclination; a tendency.
to commit or do
ill-tempered and gloomy; sullen
to yield to the desires and whims of, especially to an excessive degree; humor 2. to yield to; gratify
a low wall or railing
a person without a permanent home who moves from place to place
about to happen
widely but unfavorably known
not willing, reluctant
friendly and agreeable in disposition; good-natured and likable
audaciously rude or disrespectful; impertinent.
shamelessly bold or disrespectful behavior
a small amount of money
the act of giving in to a request or demand