Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
History of the Americas
Terms in this set (17)
Same southern democrats that led secession are elected into power
Who is in Power during Johnson plan fails?
As southerners' states were restored to the union, they began to enact black codes, laws that restricted freedmen's rights.
What law was passed during the reconstruction plan?
Calling for "reform not revenge" Radicals in Congress passed the Reconstruction Act of 1867. The key provisions:
Southern states would be under military rule by northern generals
States would be required to give the vote to all qualified male voters (including African Americans)
Supporters of the confederacy were barred(denied) from voting
Southern states were required to guarantee equal rights to all citizens
All southern states were required to ratify the 13th and 14th Amendment
What was the reconstruction plan?
In 1868, Pres, Johnson was impeached by the radical Republicans in the House of Reps.
Why was president Johnson Impeached?
He stayed in office by one vote
What was the result of Pres. Johnson impeachment?
- sought to eliminate the Republican party in the south
- wanted to keep African American as submissive laborers
What were the 2 goals of the KKK
planted burning crosses on the lawn of their victims and kidnapped, tortured or murdered them
What was the KKK tactics
The presidential election of 1876
Finally the two parties made a deal
Why did the reconstruction end
Democrats agreed to give Rutherford B. Hayes the presidential victory.
In return, the new president would remove federal troops from southern states.
Why the Compromise of 1877?
- Union is restored
- Southern infrastructure is rebuilt
- 13th, 14th, 15, Amendments ratified
- Freedmen's bureau helped blacks get jobs , home and education
- Southern States adopt mandatory education system
What were the 5 successes of the Reconstruction?
- Southerners still had hard feelings toward federal gov't
- Racist attitudes continue toward blacks
- After Federal troops withdrew, southern gov't and KKK dent blacks their rights
- Black Codes/segregation
- Many African Mweicans remain in a cycle of poverty(sharecroppers)
What were the 4 failures of the reconstruction?
They were very bitter over the loss. The south was a defeated region with a devastated economy. (socially and economically devastated)
Why was much of the South devastated by the war?
limited african americans rights (angered the northern and members of congress) // As southerners' states were restored to the union, they began to enact black codes, laws that restricted freedmen's rights.
banning slavery throughout the U.S
Declared that all persons born or naturalized in the U.S were citizens and entitled to the "equal protection laws"
declared the right to vote. Voting can not be denied on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
- A family is going to farm a portion of a landlord's land
- As payment, the family was promised a share of the crips profit at harvest time.
- After the harvest landlords charge the sharecroppers for housing and other expenses, so that the sharecroppers were in debt at the end of the year
- Many sharecroppers families were in debt to the landlord and were trapped on the plantation
Students also viewed
French: Prepositions of Place
Biology 2 Unit 3: Organelles and their F…
POWERS OF 10
Chapter 6 State of Matter
Other sets by this creator
Module 5 Terms