5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Compared with the 1950s, government's involvement in the everyday lives of Americans in the 1990s is
- By "authority" the authors mean
- The fact that the rich are taxed more heavily than the poor and that amendments that gave voting rights to minorities were passed by large majorities suggests that
- Individuals have power when they are able to
- Which delegate to the Constitutional Convention was worried that the new government that he helped to create might be too democratic?
- a even though most politicians are middle class, white Protestant men, the people are in charge and they have insisted on equality
- b playing a larger part.
- c the right to use power
- d Alexander Hamilton
- e get someone else to do their own intentions.
5 Multiple choice questions
- regimes that were as close as possible to Aristotle's definition "rule of many"
- New England
- legitimate authority
- When a circumstance is too complicated for the "average citizen" to understand.
5 True/False questions
Today the U.S. federal income tax takes an average of what percent of taxpayers' income? → 21%
Representative democracy is sometimes disapprovingly referred to as the _____ theory of democracy. → elitist
The text notes a tendency for issues that one were ____ to become____. → private, public
What are the requirements for a representative democracy? → regimes that were as close as possible to Aristotle's definition "rule of many"
The text suggest that, in the United States, no government at any level would be considered legitimate if it were not in some sense → purpose