Upgrade to remove ads
Army Counseling (ATP 6-22.1)
Terms in this set (32)
What publication covers Army Counseling?
What is Counseling?
Counseling is the process used by leaders to review with a subordinate the subordinate's demonstrated performance and potential
What does The Army's future and the legacy of today's Army leaders rest on?
The shoulders of those they help prepare for greater responsibility
What is the Army's most important tool for developing future leaders at every level?
Regular developmental counseling
What must Army leaders understand about effective counseling?
Army leaders must understand that effective counseling helps achieve desired goals and effects, manages expectations, and improves the organization
Para 1-1 Why should Leaders emphasize routine counseling?
To reinforce positive behavior and superior performance
What Eight Critical Leader Responsibilities does Regular Counseling provide leaders the opportunities for?
1. Demonstrate genuine interest in subordinates.
2. Help subordinates understand their role in accomplishing the unit's mission.
3. Acknowledge and reinforce exceptional work or dedication.
4. Evaluate subordinates' potential for development.
5. Provide subordinates with assistance or resources to address issues or further strengths.
6. Empower subordinates to identify and solve issues on their own so they are more self-reliant.
7. Identify issues before they become significant problems
8. Identify and pre-empt causes of sub-standard performance
What is Developmental counseling categorized by?
by the purpose of the session
What are The Three Major Categories of Developmental Counseling?
1. Event counseling
2. Performance counseling
3. Professional growth counseling
What does an Event-oriented counseling involve?
Specific Event or Situation
What helps ensure that the subordinate knows and consistently achieves the standard?
What are Seven Examples of Event Counseling?
1. Specific Instances of superior or substandard performance
2. Reception and Integration counseling
3. Crisis counseling
4. Referral counseling
5. Promotion counseling
6. Transition counseling
7. Adverse Separation Counseling
What are the Eight Actions Leaders are Required take when counseling a subordinate for specific performance?
1. Explain the purpose of the counseling—what was expected and how the subordinate exceeded or failed to meet the standard.
2. Remain neutral.
3. Address and explain the specific behavior or action—do not address the subordinate's character.
4. Explain the effect of the behavior, action, or performance on the rest of the organization.
5. Actively listen to the subordinate's responses
6. If failing to meet the standard, teach the subordinate how to meet the standard and recognize patterns of behavior that may keep the subordinate from meeting the standard.
7. Be prepared to conduct personal counseling, since a failure to meet the standard may be the result of an unresolved personal issue.
8. Explain to the subordinate how developing an individual development plan will improve performance and identify specific responsibilities in implementing the plan. Continue to assess and follow up on the subordinate's progress. Adjust the plan as necessary
What is the purpose of Crisis Counseling?
Getting a Soldier or employee through a period of shock after receiving negative news, such as the notification of the death of a loved one or divorce
What should happen if the Subordinate's performance is unsatisfactory because of a lack of knowledge or ability?
The Leader and Subordinate can Develop a Plan for Improvement
What are the two important purposes of Reception and integration counseling?
1. It identifies and helps alleviate any issues or concerns that new members may have, including any issues resulting from the new duty assignment
2. It familiarizes new team members with organizational standards, roles, and assignments
Who must Leaders counsel for Promotion IAW with Army Regulations?
For all specialists, corporals, and sergeants who are eligible for advancement without waivers IAW AR 600-8-19
What should a Leader do when an individual has engaged in serious acts of misconduct?
Leaders should refer the matter to the commander and the servicing staff judge advocate
What does Crisis counseling focus on?
It focuses on the subordinate's immediate short-term needs
Who should counsel a Soldier to inform the Soldier of the notification requirements outlined in AR 635-200?
The unit First Sergeant or the Commander
What Army Regulation should be cited on a Adverse separation counseling?
AR 635-200 Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Separations
What Army Regulation governs NCOER Counseling?
What does Performance counseling give Leaders the opportunity to establish and clarify?
The expected Values, Attributes, and Competencies
What is a Performance Counseling?
Performance counseling is the review of a subordinate's duty performance during a specified period
What should the Leader focus on during the performance counseling?
The counseling focuses on the subordinate's strengths, areas to improve, and potential
What does Professional Growth Counseling include?
Planning for the accomplishment of individual and professional goals
What are the General Skills that Leaders will need in Almost Every counseling situation?
Active Listening, Responding, and Appropriate Questioning
During professional growth counseling, the leader and subordinate may choose to develop what?
"A Pathway to Success" with short- and long-term goals and objectives
What are the Five Key Characteristics of an effective Counselor?
What are the Five Qualities of an effective counselor?
1. Respect for Subordinates
3. Cultural Awareness
What are the Four Stages of the Counseling Process?
1. Identify the need for counseling.
2. Prepare for counseling.
3. Conduct the counseling session.
What are the three approaches to counseling?
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
FM 7-22 - Army Physical Readiness Training (PRT)
AR 670-1 - Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms an…
ADP 6-22 / ADRP 6-22 - ARMY LEADERSHIP
Army First Aid FM 4-25.11
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
3a. The Counseling Packet
Ch 9 - High Performance Work System
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Promo Board MOI (Regulations List)
Survival (FM 3-05.70)
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
BIOL4411 L13-16: Development of pest and disease r…
Muscles of the hand