1. Which store/carry more of the body's total blood volume?
(arteries or veins)
2. About how much more?
Name the layers of a blood vessel?
1. Tunica- cell layer of cells
2. Tunica Media- a layer of muscle
3. Tunica externa- a fibrous covering
large blood vessels have their own blood vessels to supply their thick tunica media. what are they called?
describe the pathogenesis(series of events) which occurs in a heart attack.
1. physical presence of soft plaque which get larger + larger
2. presence rough scratchy plaque that may cause a blood clot to form which blocks a coronary artery
3. irritating substance in the plaque may result in vasoconstriction
how does the configuration of the Circle of Willis help protect against Stokes?
because of collateral circulation-take a detour
if a stroke can be caused by the occlusion of a vessel or aneurism, in which of these situations would you treat the patient with anticoagulants and clot dissolving drugs
1. occlusion of a vessel- clot dissolving drugs
1.In which situation would it be a life threatening mistake to give anticoagulants? occlusion of a vessel or aneurism. 2. Why?
1. occlusion of a artery
2. the vessel is calcified and probably formed a clot, so to give a patient an aticoagulant which help to clot your blood will be deadly
name the structures in the circulatory system body which are responsible for virtually all exchange.
the space inside a vessel. anything lying within a blood vessel...ex: water inside an artery, vein or capillary
anything which dwells inside the cell....ex: Hgb inside a red blood cell, water inside a cell
anything lying between a cell and a blood vessel..ex: when fluid leaves a capilllary and flows into surrounding tisue it is said to flow from an intravascular space into the interstital space or tissue
blood pressure is influence by
1. force of the heart- strength of your hear...ex: obesity
2. volume of blood-how much blood in your heart..ex: low BP decrease blood flow to the heart