5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- over-the-counter drugs
- Papaver somniferum
- DAWN (Drug Abuse Warning Network)
- secondary prevention
- a drugs and medications that can be obtained without a prescription and are legally sold in supermarkets and drugstores. These legal OTC medications include nonprescription drugs, such as NSAIDs, analgesics, aspirin, and nasal sprays.
- b a federally funded data collection system that gathers information on drug fatalities, ER incidents, and use patterns from medical examiners and emergency rooms.
- c the botanical name for the opium poppy.
- d a term for abstinence from drugs or alcohol (being sober); the concept is used mostly in Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12-step groups.
- e a strategy to identify those who are beginning to experiment with drugs and prevent them from using more drugs or having problems with drugs.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a broad category of drugs and substances used to increase energy, endurance, and strength, e.g., steroids.
- see ARND.
- A period in English history (1710-1750) during which the availability of gin led to widespread public drunkenness and health problems.
- the most potent male hormone, formed mainly in the male testes; the major naturally occurring anabolic steroid.
- a prevention program similar to DARE that consists of a four-session curriculum for 5th and 6th graders; it also develops peer resistance skills.
5 True/False questions
GAD → generalized anxiety disorder.
recreational (social) drug use → a level of drug use after experimentation in which people seek out the drug to experience certain effects but there is no established pattern of use and it has a relatively small impact on their lives; use is sporadic, infrequent, and unplanned.
NCADD → National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
crash → the comedown from a high (usually a stimulant high) in which energy is depleted by the drug and by staying awake for days. Depression and anhedonia are common.
Alateen → part of the nerve cell that conducts the impulse away from the cell body to the terminals; they can be 40-50 cm long.