5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- base-isolated building
- mercalli scale
- a number assigned by geologists based on the Earth quakes size
- b developed to rate earthquakes according to the level of damage at a given place.
- c a fold in rock that bends downward to form a valley
- d instrument that records and measures seismic waves
- e building designed to reduce the amount of energy that reaches the building during an earthquake.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the fault is at an angle so one block of rock lies above the fault while the other block lies below the fault.
- the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface
- same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction
- rocks on either side of the fault slip past each other sideways, with little up or down motion
- A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.
5 True/False questions
plateau → A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.
surface wave → A type of seismic wave that moves the ground up and down or side to side.
hanging wall → the rock on a normal fault that lies below.
compression → stress force that pulls on the crust stretching rock so that it becomes thinner in the middle.
tension → the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface