Create an account
The Purposes of a Theory
- Organize experiences
- Anticipate events
- Extend our knowledge
- Stimulate further research
- Objectivist view
- helps us get our hands around whats going on / how to understand by grouping and organizing.
- Can have holes / exceptions.
Pair of Lenses
- Interpretive view
- Calls our attention to certain things/ details.
- Change perception of the world.
- Downside: many focus on the wrong thing, bad to look at the world through only one.
- Mix of Both Objectivist and Interpretivist
- We need theory to guide us through unfamiliar territory.
- Communication is like an ever changing land. (Complicated)
Sapir Whorf Hypothesis
- Structure of a language shapes what people think and do.
- The social construction of reality.
Symbolic Interactionism (Mead)
- Socio- Cultural tradition
- Students complied notes to publish his work in a book titled "Mind Self and Society"
- Perceptions differ from student to student making the thoery "muddy".
Looking Glass Self
- Perception of yourself when considering the way that you think people think about you.
- How others see you or how you want them to see.
- Conscious effort of putting your best foot forward.
Interaction Adaption Theory (Burgoon)
- Extension and expansion of Expectancy Violation Theory
-How people adjust once an expectation has been violated.
-Socio-psycological tradition & Rhetorical tradition
- Deals with role category questionaire.
Role Category Questionaire
- Free response survey designed to measure the cognitive complexity of a persons interpersonal perception.
- Mental ability to distinguish subtle personality/ behavior differences among people.
- The main component of cognitive complexity
- The number of sperarte personality constructs used to portray the person in question.
Social Penetration Theory (Altman & Taylor)
- Socio-Psychological Tradtion
- Self-Disclosure and Closeness
- Bredth and Depth
How Self Disclosure is related to closeness
- The more you tell someone about yourself and the more they tell you about themself, the closer you are to them socially.
- Conversing with someone about a lot of subjects, but dont go into much depth about any of them.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together