5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The following questions refer to the diagram below. The levels represent energy levels in a hydrogen atom. Each level is labeled with its energy (above the ground state of Level 1) in units of electron/volts (eV). The labeled transitions represent an electron moving between energy levels.
1) Which transition represents an electron that absorbs a photon with 10.2 eV of energy?
2) Which transition represents the electron that emits a photon with the highest energy?
3) Which transition represents an electron that is breaking free of the atom?
4) Which transition, as shown, is not possible?
- The most common isotope of oxygen has atomic number 8 and atomic weight 16. Another isotope has two extra neutrons. What are the atomic number and atomic weight of this isotope?
- Any object moving relative to Earth will have a Doppler shift.
- Spectra from neutral atoms compared with spectra from ionized atoms of the same element
A) are the same.
B) are slightly redshifted.
C) are slightly blueshifted.
D) have different sets of spectral lines.
E) have the same sets of spectral lines but different widths for those lines.
- State the two laws of thermal radiation.
- a 1) B
- b False
- c 1. Hotter objects emit more radiation per unit surface area.
2. Hotter objects emit photons with higher average energy.
- d D) have different sets of spectral lines.
- e The atomic number would still be 8 because the number of protons wouldn't change, but the atomic weight would increase to 18.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A) The atomic number is 79, and the atomic weight is 197.
- D) reflect visible light.
- A) emits a photon of a specific frequency.
- A) The gold ion has a charge of +2 and 77 electrons.
- A) An emission line spectrum consists of bright lines on a dark background, while an absorption line spectrum consists of dark lines on a rainbow background.
5 True/False questions
When an atom loses an electron, it becomes
D) an isotope.
E) a plasma. → C) deuterium
Which of the following statements about X rays and radio waves is not true?
A) X rays travel through space faster than radio waves.
B) X rays have shorter wavelengths than radio waves.
C) X rays and radio waves are both forms of light, or electromagnetic radiation.
D) X rays have higher frequency than radio waves. → A) X rays travel through space faster than radio waves.
Suppose a photon has a frequency of 300 million hertz (300 megahertz). What is its wavelength?
A) 1 meter
B) 1/300,000 meter
C) 300 million meters
D) A photon's wavelength cannot be determined from its frequency. → A) 1 meter
You are currently emitting electromagnetic waves. → True
Without telescopes or other aid, we can look up and see the Moon in the night sky because it
A) emits visible light.
B) emits thermal radiation.
C) reflects infrared light.
D) reflects visible light.
E) glows through radioactive decay. → D) reflects visible light.