5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gustavus Adolphus
- Diet of Worms
- Index of Prohibited Books
- a Swedish king who led the Swedes to victory at the Battle of Luzten.
- b Church agent who sold indulgences in Bradenburg, North Germany. Convinced people to buy indulgences.
- c Charles V summoned a council of German princes to talk about Luther.
- d Leader of the Scottish Calvinists that preached the people could overthrow a corrupt prince to defend their beliefs and God's beliefs. He thought of the government as capitalist. Government had certain obligations to the people.
- e A weapon of the Counter-Reformation of the Catholic Church; this documented books that disagreed with or criticized the Church.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Member of the Dutch council of state who wanted to place political autonomy of the Netherlands above religious creeds.
- King of Denmark that was defeated by Germany and gave Maximilian I power.
- Town seized by Anabaptists in which they combined religious fanaticism with reign of terror. They burned all books other than the bible. The leader was John Bockleson.
- Church offices granted by the ruler of the state or the pope to an individual. The selling of positions.
- Hapsburg king of Spain who chose Catholic rule incited the revolt in the Spanish Netherlands.
5 True/False questions
Thirty Year's War → Document that recognized the Dutch Netherlands' independence from Spain (1648)
Battle of Lepanto → French document signed by Henry IV in 1598 which granted Huguenots some measure of religious freedom.
Catherine de Medici → Wife of Henry VII that bore him a daughter, Mary, but not son.
theocracy → A church run state.
Cardinal Granvelle → English Church