5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Leo X
- Index of Prohibited Books
- Advice on the Reform of the Church
- Schmalkaldic League
- a 40 different religion sects in Western Europe. They had a common practice of baptizing as adults. They applied ideas of Protestantism into civil life.
- b Protestant alliance formed by Lutherans against the HRE/Charles V
- c Pope who sold indulgences in order to build St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome (he need $)
- d Book that blamed church for problems and called for reforms that would convince the Protestants to return to the the Catholic Church.
- e A weapon of the Counter-Reformation of the Catholic Church; this documented books that disagreed with or criticized the Church.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Institution of the Catholic Church that sought to eliminate heresy by seeking out and punishing heretics
- Church offices granted by the ruler of the state or the pope to an individual. The selling of positions.
- Swedish king who led the Swedes to victory at the Battle of Luzten.
- Church agent who sold indulgences in Bradenburg, North Germany. Convinced people to buy indulgences.
- After St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, Elizabeth the I signed it to provide English soldiers and cavalry to the Netherlands (1585)
5 True/False questions
Battle of Lepanto → Young court woman that Henry VII wanted to marry.
Zwingli vs. Catholic → English Church
Henry VIII → King that broke with church for political reasons. He wanted to divorce his wife, Catherine of Aragon, but couldn't. Broke ties with the CC and replaced it with the Church of England which was basically CC without a pope.
Elizabethan Compromise → Elizabeth I of England adopted a policy of religious compromise between Protestants and Catholics; she remained a Protestant.
Peace of Ausburg → Treaty which ended the Thirty Years' War, reducing Spain and Austria's influence and continuing the division of the HRE into 3000 autonomous states.