• Note the care in bringing materials to the site - two options
o Glaciers brought the stones
• Lots of theories
• Three main stages of stone hinge
o built up the moat/ditch - filled some holes with a chalk
o Second stage - timber structure?
o Third Stage is the addition of the blue stones
• Stone hinge - represents a celestial tracking system/ solar worship
• Note the variety of the stone
o Sarsen, Blue stone, Sandstone
• Note the scale
• composed of concentric rings
• alter at the center
• heal stone stands outside of rings and marks cosmic events
• Structure is both part of the landscape and set off from it. It was closed in concentric rings of stone, yet open through the stone screens.
• sophisticated principles of planning and construction - axiality , orientation, geometry, statistics, transportation, and communal labor