Name the three models of communication we studied in class, in order, plus identify the year(s) of their development, and an example of each in action
1. Linear/action Model; established during 1948/1949; example: something written by someone who is deceased
2. Interaction Model; established during the 1950s; examples: email, texting, online chat
3. Transaction Model; established during the 1960s; examples: video conferencing, skyping, telephone conversation
Identify the first and last names of the two gentlemen who developed the first model of communication.
Claude Shannon and Warren Weaver
List the four types of noise related to the second model of communication and provide an example of each
1. Physical (external)- music, fans
2. Physiological (internal physical)- pain, sickness, headache, hunger
3. Psychological (internal mental)- stress, worry, anticipation
4. Socio-cultural- dialect, nonverbal eye contact
Per the textbook, what are the three criteria to measure communication competence?
1. The message should be understood as the communicator intended it to be understood
2. The message should achieve the communicator's intended effect
3. The message should be ethical
List, in order, the top five factors most important in helping graduating college students obtain employment
1. Oral communication skills
2. Written communication skills
3. Listening ability
5. Technical competence
What were the professions of the two developers of the first model of communication
engineer (Shannon) and philanthropist (Weaver)
What is the definition of communication provided in class that complements the textbook definition?
Communication is verbal and/or nonverbal information exchange