Test 2 - Advanced Grammar
Terms in this set (28)
The ___ are the eight divisions into which English words are classified.
Parts of speech
We must consider a words _____ in a sentence before making judgments and classifications.
A ____ noun names someone specific. A ____ noun names someone or something in a general class.
A ____ noun names something tangible; an ___ noun names something intangible.
The word for which a pronoun stands is the ____ of a pronoun.
Pronouns are divided into ___ categories
One chooses a ____ case pronoun if one needs a subject or a predicate nominative, an ___ case pronoun if one needs an object, and a ___ case pronoun if one needs to show ownership.
nominative, objective, possessive
8. An adjective in the ____ position follows a linking verb and modifies the sentence's subject. An adjective in the ___ position comes before the word it modifies, while an adjective in the ____ position follows the word that it modifies.
predicative, attribute, appositive
9. A _____ verb is one whose action is directed toward a receiver, while an _____ verb either shows no action or has no receiver.
10. Considering all of the forms of a verb is called ____ the verb.
11. A modification of a verb can occur to show weather the subject is performing or receiving the action. In ____ voice, the subject performs the action; in _____ voice the subject receives the action.
12. The ____verb is often referred to as "helping" verbs.
13. The ____ auxiliaries express obligation, probability, possibility, or necessity
14. _____ refers to the time of action of the verb
15. _____ aspect is expressed by the use of auxiliary verbs have (or its form) and a main verb. It indicates that the situation or the action has been completed at a point earlier than the time of the sentence.
16. The_____ tenses indicate that the action is in progress
17. Verbs that form their past tenses by the addition of D or ED are considered ____ verbs; verbs that form their past tenses in unusual ways (not by a set platform) are called ____ verbs
20. We use the _____ mood to express wishing or dreaming
21. _____ are words that show place, direction, time, degree, cause or reason
22. A preposition phrase can function _____ or ______
23. _____ conjunctions join elements of equal rank, while _____ conjunctions join a dependent or independent clause (elements of unequal rank). _____ conjunctions occur in pairs.
Coordinating, subordinating, Correlative
24. An _____ is followed by an exclamation point when it expresses strong emotions
25. A sentence is made up of two parts; the ____and the ____
26. _____ are words that are used to complement other words. These include direct objects, indirect objects, objective complements, predicate nominatives, and predicate adjectives.
27. The use of the word there plus a form of the verb to be (there is, there are, etc) is referred to as _____conjunction.
29. Phrases and Clauses are groups of words. Which group always has a subject and a verb? ___________
creating a _____ sentence, a writer is able to create a sentence or idea by specific word choice.
The difference between a ____ quality which is usually permanent and a ___ quality which can change.