5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- karma marga
- caste system
- a "the path of works" - One of the three Hindu paths to salvation, emphasizing performing right actions according to dharma.
- b traditional division of Hindu society into various categories; there are four main varnas; or classes:Brahmin, kshatriya, vaishya, and shudra; each class contains certain subgroups, resulting in more than three thousand categories.
- c material success and social prestige, one of the four goals of life.
- d Ethical duty based on the divine order of reality; one of the four goals of life.
- e a collection of over two hundred texts composed of between 900 and 200 BC that provide philosophical commentary to the Vedas
5 Multiple choice questions
- the eternal essence of reality and the source of the universe, beyond the reach of human perception and thought.
- "the path of knowledge" - one of the three Hindu paths to salvation, emphasizing knowing the true nature of reality through learning and meditation.
- one who renounces physical pleasures and worldly attachments for the sake of spiritual advancement; common in Hinduism and many other religious traditions, most notably Jainism.
- a collections of 1, 017 Sanskrit hymns composed about 1500BC earlier; Hinduism's oldest text.
- the second of four classes of the caste system, traditionally made up of warrior and administrators.
5 True/False questions
kama → the moral law of cause and effect of actions; determines the nature of one's reincarnation.
samadhi → the traditional practice of burning a widow on her husband's funeral pyre; outlawed in 1829, though it still occurs rarely.
Atman → the moral law of cause and effect of actions; determines the nature of one's reincarnation.
sati → pleasure, especially sensual love; one of the four goals of life.
shudra → the lowest of the four classes of the caste system, traditionally made up of servants and laborers.