PEOPLE OF THE SOUTHWEST CHAPTER 11
Terms in this set (20)
describe the Navajo hogans
poles covered with a layer of soil and bark
what was the destination of the Navajo on the long walk
describe the long walk
1. covered 300 miles 2. many of Navajo died during the walk 3. Navajo found poor soil and unsafe water at the end of their walk
how do you think the Navajo felt after making the long walk how do you think they felt when they say their new homeland
1. happy to be finished walking and still alive 2. sad for the people who didn't make it 3. scared and angry when they saw their new home with poor soil and water
why do you think think the Navajo tribunal council made a system of written rules
1. rules help them govern large groups of people. 2. people know what is expected of them. 3. rules can be handed down from generation to generation.
describe the Navajo tribal council today
it has tribal council members and a chairperson who is elected very four years.
what are the main events of Coronados search for the cities of gold
1. 1540 Coronado sent to find golden cities 2. found the Zuni people walls not made out of gold. 3. sent search parties in different directions 4. found the grand canyon, gulf of California, Pueblo villages 5. went back to Mexico report no gold.
what is one way that spanish missions help the native americans
some protected the native americans from their enemies
why do you think pueblos grew up around the spanish missions in the southwest
some native americans who lived at the mission married and built homes near there. each mission was a center of a activity. had farms, ranches, good water, supply and mills. people were drawn there.
name 3 purposes for spanish missions
1. to make christians out of native americans 2. to support itself by raising crops and livestock 3. to claim land
name 3 things brought to the south west by the spanish
1. cattle ranching 2. Mexican and Spanish food 3. Spanish language
which culture has the most influence on the southwest today
how did th ephilip armour help the cattle industry
started a meat packing industry in chicago that helped the markets for beef grow
why did texas cowboys need an easy way to kansas
cattle could to the meat packing plants from the railroad towns in kansas
name 3 jobs of the cowboys in the southwest
1. training horses 2. guarding horses 3. driving cattle
Where did the chisholm trail begin
san antonio, texas
what effect did the chisholm trail have on cattle ranching in texas
1. grew because of the trail 2. cowboys had a way to take cattle to sell 3. decreased cattle ranching in texas becasue cowboys may have move closer to kansas because of open land grazing
name 3 ways that ranching in the southwest is different from ranching in the past
1. ranches raise crops to feed animals 2. animals drink from water wells. 3. ranches fence in their land to keep cattle from wandering off.
How has irrigation changed Arizona?
land that once was dry is now rich farmland.
How has air conditioning affected the South west?
the heat of the southwest is more bearable for businesses and families there.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Settlements Take Root - Life in the Colonies
geography chapter 4 section 2
4th grade Social Studies Unit 2 Early Indiana
Ancient American Civilizations lesson 1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR