How can we help?
You can also find more resources in our
Select a category
Something is confusing
Something is broken
I have a suggestion
What is your email?
What is 1 + 3?
Networking Standards & OSI Model
1. Which of the following standards organizations has established guidelines for installing network cables in commercial buildings?
2. Which technology does the IEEE 802.3 specification describe?
b. Ethernet LANs
3. Which of the following IEEE specifications pertains to wireless networking?
4. Which layer of the OSI model is responsible for issuing acknowledgments (ACKs)?
d. Transport layer
5. Which OSI model layer is responsible for keeping open a communications path between your computer and the server when you dial in to a remote access server?
d. Session layer
6. Suppose your network is connected to another network via a router. Which OSI model layer provides the information necessary to direct data between the two networks?
a. Network layer
7. In which two layers of the OSI model do NICs belong?
d. Physical and Data Link layers
8. Which standards organization developed the OSI model?
9. Under what circumstances would the Transport layer use segmentation?
c. When the destination node cannot accept the size of the data blocks transmitted by the source node
10. Which OSI model layer generates and detects voltage so as to transmit and receive signals carrying data?
a. Physical layer
11. What type of address follows a hierarchical format?
c. Network addresses
12. If the TCP protocol did not receive an acknowledgment for data it transmitted, what would it do?
c. Retransmit the data to the recipient
13. You have just installed a new NIC in your computer and see the following stamped on it:000A5E1A8DA2. This unique identifier is an example of what kind of address?
b. MAC address
14. Which part of a MAC address is unique to each manufacturer?
b. The block ID
15. What is the purpose of the trailer field added to a frame in the Data Link layer?
a. To mark the end of a frame
16. What are the sublayers of the Data Link layer as defined in the IEEE 802 standards?
a. Logical Link Control sublayer and Media Access Control sublayer
17. Which layer of the OSI model encapsulates Network layer packets?
c. Data Link layer
18. Suppose that, at the receiving node, a frame's FCS doesn't match the FCS it was issued atthe transmitting node. What happens as a result?
b. The receiving node's Data Link layer requests a retransmission.
19. In which of the following situations would it be most desirable to use a connectionlessTransport layer protocol?
c. When viewing a movie clip on the Web
20. Which of the following would be found in a Data Link layer header?
d. The source's physical address