5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- rip van winkle and legend of sleepy hollow
- rhymed, blank, free
- a used hudson river valley setting and old dutch families as characters
- b first major american novelist
- c 3 types of poetry
- d stories included in 'sketchbook'
- e "he who, form zone to zone, guides through the boundless sky thy certain flight, in the long way that i must tread alone, willl lead my steps aright."
5 Multiple choice questions
- supported abolitionists and the emancipation of slaves
- bryant translated the iliad and the odyssey into ______________.
- writers during the age of romanticism in america
- BEAUtiful... 3 syllables, 1st accented and 2nd and 3rd unaccented
- "prophet!", said I, "thing of evil- prophet still, if bird or devil!"
5 True/False questions
poe → he wrote for southern literary messenger and was dismissed for drinking
bryant → wrote 'history of new york' with pseudonym diedrich knickerbocker
irving → 1st serious essayist
poe → poetry that contains neither a meter nor rhyme
jonathan swift and daniel defoe → pseudonym used by irving when he wrote for the 'morning chronicle'