5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- rip van winkle and legend of sleepy hollow
- jonathan oldstyle
- a stories included in 'sketchbook'
- b his stepfather got him into west point. he went AWOL.
- c pseudonym used by irving when he wrote for the 'morning chronicle'
- d "man, by dying, becomes one with nature."
5 Multiple choice questions
- practiced law 9 years
- "once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary."
- poes techniques of writing
- he gained infamous fame for "the raven"
- writers during the age of romanticism in england
5 True/False questions
sketchbook → irving's first book to gain acceptance in US and england and icludes 'rip van winkle' and the 'legend of sleepy hollow'
poe → he was adopted by john allan of richmond VA
poe → wrote the leatherstocking tales
bryant → used hudson river valley setting and old dutch families as characters
bryant → poetry that contains a definate meter but does not rhyme