5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Bill of Rights
- Revenue Sharing
- Shays' Rebellion
- Writ of Habeas Corpus
- a Must bring an accused person in custody before a judge to show sufficient cause for the detention.
- b The right to declare a federal law unconstitutional by a state. No longer allowed after the Civil War.
- c Ex-Revolutionary War soldiers attempt to prevent foreclosures of farms as a result of high interest rates and taxes. This demonstrated the realization that the state governments could collapse under the Articles, due to internal dissension.
- d No requirement as to matching funds and freedom to spend on almost any governmental purpose. Distribution of money determined by a specific formula. This program was ended in 1986.
- e First 10 Amendments to the Constitution in which basic rights are guaranteed. Was added to the Constitution before ratification in order to appease the Antifederalists.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Said that attacks against women are not, and do not substantially affect, interstate commerce. Thus voided the Violence Against Women Act.
- The government is dominated by appointed officials within the bureaucracy. They decide how to translate public laws into administrative actions.
- Guaranteed the extension of the Bill of Rights to include state actions and not just federal.
- An alliance - As referenced by Federalist 51 - A group of factions that comes together to rule. In a large republic more interests are represented.
- Plan to amend the Articles in which each state would have one vote in the national legislature.
5 True/False questions
Antifederalists → Shared separation of powers between a federal government and state governments.
Bill of Attainder → First 10 Amendments to the Constitution in which basic rights are guaranteed. Was added to the Constitution before ratification in order to appease the Antifederalists.
Intergovernmental Lobby → Federal money for specific purposes. A more specific type of Grants in Aid. I.E. build a specific airport. Usually requires some sort of "matching" funds.
Pluralist view → Competition shapes public policy. Therefore, what government does is affected to varying derees not only by competing groups of elites inside or outside government, but by mass public opinion as well.
Elastic Clause → Money from the national government for programs in certain general ares that the states can use at their discretion within broad guidelines set by Congress.