5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Bill of Rights
- Judicial Review
- Ex Post Facto Law
- a A law that makes criminal an act that was legal when it was committed.
- b The right to use power. "Formal" means that the right to exercise power is vested in government office.
- c Voters can remove an elected official from office if enough of signatures are gathered on a petition and then it is brought to a vote.
- d First 10 Amendments to the Constitution in which basic rights are guaranteed. Was added to the Constitution before ratification in order to appease the Antifederalists.
- e The power of the Supreme Court to declare an act of Congress unconstitutional. It is used to limit the power of popular majorities.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Aristotle's Greece in which a all or most citizens participated in government directly.
- Guaranteed the extension of the Bill of Rights to include state actions and not just federal.
- Enables voters to reject a measure adopted by the legislature.
- Ex-Revolutionary War soldiers attempt to prevent foreclosures of farms as a result of high interest rates and taxes. This demonstrated the realization that the state governments could collapse under the Articles, due to internal dissension.
- The government is dominated by appointed officials within the bureaucracy. They decide how to translate public laws into administrative actions.
5 True/False questions
Coalition → The shifting of national government actions to that of the states. Examples include welfare and health care.
11th Amendment → Protects states from lawsuits by citizens of other states or foreign nations.
Nullification → An alliance - As referenced by Federalist 51 - A group of factions that comes together to rule. In a large republic more interests are represented.
Federal Republic → a government in which a system of representation operates through competitive elections.
Devolution → An alliance - As referenced by Federalist 51 - A group of factions that comes together to rule. In a large republic more interests are represented.