5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is the main purpose of the National League for Nursing (NLN)?
- What is the major course difference between an AD & BSN?
- What was the result of the Brown Report?
- Attests completion of a course of study at a formal educational institution? (but is not a passport into a certain job)
- What did Mary Seacole do during Crimean war?
- a in addition to diploma/AD content, BSN includes coursework in health promotion/containment, disease prevention, leadership, introduction to research, and community/public health.
- b purchased own supplies and recruited group of nurses to set up her own hospital to treat British casualties
- c degrees/diplomas
- d schools went from being profitable to becoming major economic liabilities, and diploma programs began to fade
- e advancing nursing education (such as accreditation of schools).
5 Multiple choice questions
- "approval" of hospitals, healthcare organizations, education institutions, or educational programs
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)
- Clara Barton
- Florence Nightingale
5 True/False questions
What emerged during World War II? → management structure of school different from that of hospital to eliminate conflict of interest
What was the first US diploma program? → Lucille Brown- concerned that not enough women interested in nursing, and that nursing schools were not giving enough education. Report stating that apprenticeship training be abandoned and replaced with planned educational systems.
What are some impacts/concerns with associated with AD programs? → expensive (low student: faculty ratio in clinical setting), difficulty finding faculty, and scarcity of clinical sites
What was life like in early diploma programs? → Put on "probationary period" where they did everyday chores while instructors watched and looked for attitude & moral problems. Students could be dismissed at any time during this period. A training not an education. Physicians did teachings. Exploited as cheap labor. Resulted in lack of jobs in hospitals for grads, so they worked in the community.
What did Mildred Montag do? → predicted battles over title. Researched nursing shortage and set up demonstration programs in community colleges causing AD programs to grow rapidly.