5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Aerobic respiration
- Phosphorus cycle
- Natural greenhouse effect
- a A group of individuals of the same species that live together in the same area at the same time
- b Heat buildup in the troposphere because of the presence of certain gases, called greenhouse gases. Without this effect, the earth would be nearly as cold as Mars, and life as we know it could not exist. Compare global warming.
- c The process in which pyruvic acid is broken down and NADH is used to make a large amount of ATP; the part of respiration that is carried out in the presence of oxygen.
- d Process in which certain organisms (mostly specialized bacteria) extract inorganic compounds from their environment and convert them into organic nutrient compounds without the presence of sunlight. Compare photosynthesis.
- e Cyclic movement of phosphorus in different chemical forms from the environment to organisms and then back to the environment
5 Multiple choice questions
- A catabolic process that makes a limited amount of ATP from glucose without an electron transport chain and that produces a characteristic end product, such as ethyl alcohol or lactic acid.
- Commonly digest decomposers that live on, and in, detritus particles, which they chew and grind into even smaller pieces.
- The entire portion of Earth inhabited by life; the sum of all the planet's ecosystems.
- Organisms that obtain energy by eating only plants
- Organisms that eat living producers and/or other consumers for food
5 True/False questions
Ecology → A measure of the total dry mass of organisms within a particular region
Heterotrophs → Organisms that rely on other organisms for their energy and food supply
Hydrologic (water) cycles → The recycling of nitrogen in the environment in which nitrogen goes from a gas, to organic compounds in the soil, to proteins in a plant or nitrates, and then is again released into the atmosphere as a gas.
Decomposers → Organisms that break down the dead remains of other organisms.
Carnivores → Organisms that eat other animals for energy