how did they participate?
• 100s of blacks drawn into New England militia and continental units→in 1775, GW banned backs from serving→armys need for personell:6 wks later, free black slaves may join
• All black regiment created in RI; slaves' masters would be compensated if their slaves enlisted→ helped out in Yorktown victory
what did they gain?
• Many more people began opposing slavery: Quakers freed many slaves→MA, RI, CT, VT, PA began phasing out slavery between 1777 and 1784, and NY and NJ did so later→took steps that weakend the institution such as imosing laws saying that children born to slaves could go free after a certain age
• Even some more slaves in the south went free, though slavery was still popular
• When free, they faced a future as destitute, 2nd class citizens, since whites were reluctant to hire them and pay equal wages
• Some states granted some civil rights to freee blacks→ could participate in colonial elections if they met the property qualification
• More freedom of movement
• Equal treatment in court hearings for free blacks