infection that begins with a spore lands on a wheat plant and fungal filaments invade the plant through it's stomata. --> led to Ug99 -single greatest threat to the world food supply @ this time
eukaryotic heterotroph with cell walls of chitin; obtains nutrients by digesting them outside the body and absorbing them. -are heterotrophs -have walled cells and digest food outside of the body.
organism that feeds on wastes and remains
mass of threadlike filaments (hyphae) that make up the body of a multicelled fungus.
component of a gungal mycelium; a filament made up of cells arranged end to end.
having two genetically distinct nuclei
a cell or cluster of cells, often with a thick wall that allows it to survive hasrsh conditions.
Three distinct groups of Fungi
1.Chytrids 2. Glomermycetes 3. zygote fungi
1. oldest fungal lineage 2. only living fungus that make flagellated spores 3. parasitizes amphibiens.
1. Fungus that forms a thickwalled zygospore during sexual reproduction.
1. Fungus with haphae that grow inside the wall of a plant root cell. 2. Plant shares sugars with it's fungal roomate- which provides it with nutrients taken up from the soil.
1. Most diverse fungal group; sexual reproduction produces ascospores inside a saclike structure (an ascus).
1. typically multi-celled 2. cross-walled alphae 3. sexual spores form inside club-shaped cells on a fruiting body, or basidiocarp, composed of interwoven dikaryotic hyphae. 4. only fungi capable of breaking down the lignin in wood.
a composite organism composed of a fungus and a single-celled photosynthetic partner. 2. Most often consists of sac fungus and cyanobacteria or green algae
mutually beneficial relationship between two species
mutually beneficial relationship between a fungus and a plant root
toxin, food poisoning
Saprobic fungi obtrain nutrients from
nonliving organic matter
in _________, a hyphae has few or no cross-walls
The yeasts whose fermentation reactions produce carbon dioxide that makes bread rise are a type of...
In many _____, an extensive dikaryotic mycelium is the most consipirucuous phase of the life cycle.
The mycelium of a multicelled fungus is a mesh of filaments, each called a...
A mushroom is
a reproductive structure that releases sexual spores
Spores released from a mushrooms gills are
____ are fungi that produce flagellated spores
Nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria often interact with a fungus as a
_______ are mycorrhizal fungi with hyphae that grow into a root cell and branch inside it
Histoplasmosis is an example of
1. Altered the species composition of eastern forests 2. was caused by an introduced fungal pathogen 3. was spread by wind-dispersed spores
produces halucinations and convultions
filmaent of a mycelium
component of fungal cell walls
produces flagellated spores
forms sexual spores in an ascus
many form mushrooms
partnership between a fungus and one or more photoautotrophs
half of a chromosome pair (sperm and egg_)
complete choromosome pair (all other cells in your body)