5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Medieval Polyphonic Motet
- Ground Bass/Basso Ostinato
- a A motive, phrase, or theme repeated over and over again played in the bass.
- b Getting softer
- c a short piece of sacred choral music, typically polyphonic and unaccompanied.
- d The interval between a pair of "duplicating" notes, eight notes apart in the diatonic scale
- e The accenting of certain beats of the meter that are ordinarily unaccented
5 Multiple choice questions
- A polyphonic musical texture in which various melodic lines use approximately the same themes.
- A musical texture involving a single melodic line, as in Gregorian Chant
- Changing key within a piece
- The blend of various sounds and melodic lines occurring simultaneously in a piece of music
- The sonorous quality of a particular instrument, voice, or combination of instruments or voices
5 True/False questions
Word painting → Musical illustration of the meaning of a word or short verbal phrase
Polyphonic Mass/Mass Ordinary → Music for catholic Mass. Same text every time. Ordinary set to new music
Dissonance → Intervals or chords that sound relatively tense and unstable.
Meter → A background of stressed and unstressed beats in a simple, regular, repeating pattern
Fugue → A composition written systematically in imitative polyphony, usually with a single main theme, the fugue subject.