5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sebastiano Serlio
- Comedia Dell'arte
- a Italian designer
- b Owned part of his company
Lord Chamberlain's Men - during Queen Elizabeth's reign
King's Men -during King James reign
- c a (usually long) dramatic speech by a single actor
- d Comedy of professional player.
Highly valued because of the high level of performance.
Stock characters. Improvisation.
- e exaggerated improbable situations( The Three Stooges)
5 Multiple choice questions
- one trait overshadows all others
- (1550-1650) Religious dramas- autos sacramentales
Auto =one act play
Performed during Corpus Christi festival
Combined elements of medieval, morality and mystery plays.
- The large open-air theatres, purpose-built as commercial playhouses, were an innovation of the 1580s, but their open stages and lack of scenery were common to other places the actors would have performed-such as the halls at Court and in great houses, or the innyards they might use when on tour.
- Pierre Cornell-Le Cid
Jean Racine- Phaedra
- comic pieces of business used repeatedly by characters in Italian commedia dell'arte.
5 True/False questions
Kabuki Theatre → Relied on dance more than western drama
total theater= an integration of acting, mime, dance, music, text
Famous Actresses 17th and 18th century → Nell Gwynn: flower seller, Mistress of Charles II, very funny. Very popular in her day.
Elizabeth Barry: stoic
Anne : never got married
Cuckold → a man with an unfaithful wife.
Pantalone → miserly old man
Prose → Prose: shows lower status (mechanicals in midsummer nights dream). refers to ordinary speech with no regular pattern of accentual rhythm. Lines of text do not all have the same number of syllables nor is there any discernible pattern of stresses.