5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Masques (Jacobian)
- Famous Actor 17th and 18th century
- Kabuki Theatre
- Punch and Judy
- a short versions of full length plays.
- b Thomas Betterton
- c the lovers
- d Written expressly for the court
Performed in banquet halls with the King/Queen and court participating
Inigo Jones- designed stage and costumes.
- e (Japan) Started when female dancer began to give public performances, Elaborate make up, Brilliant costumes
After 1629- men performed in the plays when women were banned, Narrated stories about contemporary life.
5 Multiple choice questions
- (1550-1650) Religious dramas- autos sacramentales
Auto =one act play
Performed during Corpus Christi festival
Combined elements of medieval, morality and mystery plays.
- Manager of Drury Lane
Sentimental comedy- played on the emotions of the audience in order to arouse sympathy for character.
Ushered in a more " natural " style of acting
- 10 beats per line (heartbeat)
- Long and narrow
Artificial lighting (candles)
Theaters were open year round
5 True/False questions
Arlecchino (Harlequin) → cunning clown
Monologue → a (usually long) dramatic speech by a single actor
Neoclassical Writers → an attempt to revive and emulate classical attitudes towards art based on
New Theaters Built during Restoration → Follows neoclassical rules
Soliloquy → a character alone on stage speaking his or her thoughts aloud.