5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Couples in Midsummer Nights Dream
- Comedia Dell'arte
- New Theaters Built during Restoration
- First Theater
- a Theater Royal
Lincoln's Fields Inn
Dorset Garden Theater
- b Lysander and Hermia
Helena and Demetrius
Theseus and Hippolyta
Titania and Oberon
- c Comedy of professional player.
Highly valued because of the high level of performance.
Stock characters. Improvisation.
- d a (usually long) dramatic speech by a single actor
- e The Theater
5 Multiple choice questions
- yearly performances dedicated to one actor who would keep all the profits
- Italian designer
- Help set the tone and style of the production
Establishing Locale and Period
Providing a Central Image or Metaphor
Coordinating Scenery with a Whole
Solving Practical Design Problems
- Written expressly for the court
Performed in banquet halls with the King/Queen and court participating
Inigo Jones- designed stage and costumes.
- Thomas Betterton
5 True/False questions
Drolls → Prose: shows lower status (mechanicals in midsummer nights dream). refers to ordinary speech with no regular pattern of accentual rhythm. Lines of text do not all have the same number of syllables nor is there any discernible pattern of stresses.
Arlecchino (Harlequin) → cunning clown
Apron → Japanese puppet plays, needed three people to operate.
Comedies of intrigue → romance and adventure
English stage 17th and 18 century → Thomas Betterton