1. Deficiency of folate causes anemia, diminished immunity, and abnormal digestive function.
- Any cells/tissues/organs that replace cells often (blood, skin, digestive tract)
2. Deficiencies are related to increased risk of cervical cancer (in women infected with HPV), breast cancer (in women who drink alcohol) and pancreatic cancer (in men who smoke).
3. Lack of folate affects cells, such as RBC, that rapidly divide.
• Mature RBCs do not have nuclei and live ~ 4 months.
- Without folate, RBC precursor cells enlarge, but cannot divide. (DNA is needed for division.)
• Bone marrow releases some large, immature, abnormal RBCs with nuclei (megaloblasts) into the blood stream.