Decline of The Qing Dynasty
Terms in this set (25)
causes of decline of Qing Dynasty (3)
1. intense internal pressure applied to Chinese society by the modern West
2. suffered from corruption, peasant unrest, incompetence
3. rapid growth in country's population-->food shortage
European merchants were restricted to a trading outlet at...
How come british had to pay for their imports w/silver?
importing more than they were exporting
Result of British not stopping selling opium?
Chinese blockaded Guangzhou, British sailed to Nanjing
Treaty of Nanjing? (4)
China agreed to...
1. 5 ports
2. limit taxes on brit imports
3. pay for war
4. Give Hong Kong
in five ports given to British by China, Europeans lived in their own sections subject NOT to Chinese laws but to their own laws
opium war marked...
beginning of establishment of Western influence in China
failure of the Chinese government to deal w/pressing internal economic problems led to peasant revolt called...
Tai Ping Rebellion
convinced god gave him mission of destroying Qing Dynasty, captured Yongan, proclaimed new dynasty Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace
Tai Ping Rebellion appealed to people b/c...(3)
1. called for social reforms (women='s of men)
2. called for people to give up private possesions
3. outlawed binding of feet, alcohol, tobacco
1 reason for Qing dynasty's failure to deal w/internal unrest?
ongoing struggle w/western powers
result of treaty of tianjin
1. chinese agreed to legalize opium trade & open ports to foreign trade
2. surrendered Kowloon Peninsula to GB
china should adopt Western technology while keeping it's Confucian values & institutions
areas where the imperial powers had exclusive trading rights
spheres of influence
countries that were spheres of influence
Britain, France, Germany, Russia, & Japan
reward for jap beating chinese in war
japan received Taiwan & Liaodong Peninsula
launched massive reform program based on changes in Japan, 100 Days of Reform, issued edicts calling for major political, administrative, and educational reforms
how was Guang Xu going to modernize govt bureaucracy by following western models? (4)
1. adopt new education system
2. adopt western-style schools
3. adopt banks & free press
4. train military to use modern weapons & western fighting techniques
became dominant force at court, opposed emperor's reforms, imprisoned emperor & ended reform efforts
Empress Dowager Ci Xi
presented proposal that ensured equal access to Chinese market for all nations & preserved unity of Chinese Empire, Open Door Policy
reflected American concern for survival of China & interests of some trading companies in U.S.
Open Door Policy
Open Door Policy DID (2), DIDN'T (1)
DID-reduce resterictions on foreign imports, help reduce imperialist hysteria over access to China market
DIDN'T-end system of spheres of influence
chinese govt forced to pay indemnity during...
Boxers upset by...
foreign takeover of Chinese lands
payment for damages