Create an account
1. Convert the following subnet mask into its dotted-decimal equivalent: 1111111111111111 11111000 00000000
3. A node on a network has an IP address of 18.104.22.168 and its subnet mask is 255.248.0.0. What type of subnetting has been used on this network?
4. On a network with an IP address of 22.214.171.124 (or 10001100 10000101 00011100 01001000) and a subnet mask of 255.248.0.0 (or 11111111 11111000 00000000 00000000), what is the network ID?
c. 126.96.36.199 (or 10001100 11111000 00000000 00000000)
5. As a networking consultant, you've been asked to help expand a client's TCP/IP network. The network administrator tells you that the network ID is subnetted as 188.8.131.52/26. On this network, how many bits of each IP address are devoted to host information?
6. If you worked on an older network that could not interpret classless addressing, and your network ID was 184.108.40.206, what is the theoretical maximum number of different subnets you could create on this network?
7. You have decided to create 254 subnets on your Class B network. What subnet mask will you use to accomplish this?
8. If you subdivide your Class B network into 254 subnets, what is the maximum number of hosts you can assign to any single subnet?
9. Your company has leased a Class C network whose network ID is 220.127.116.11. You want to create 16 subnets within this network. One of the subnets will have an extended network prefix of 18.104.22.168. What will be the broadcast address for this subnet? (Hint: If you know the number of hosts per subnet, you can easily determine the broadcast address.)
10. Your workstation's IP address is 10.35.88.12, and your supervisor's workstation's IP address is 10.35.91.4. When you send data from your workstation to your supervisor's workstation, what is the most likely IP address of the first default gateway that will accept and interpret your transmission?
11. You have decided to use PAT on your small office network. At minimum, how many IP addresses must you obtain from your ISP in order for all five clients in your office to be able to access servers on the Internet?
12. You have offered to help a friend set up her e-mail client software. She knows the e-mail address that her ISP assigned her. Which of the following pieces of information will you need to configure her e-mail software to successfully send messages?
b. SMTP server name
13. Which two of the following are benefits of using IMAP4 relative to POP3?
b. It allows users to review and delete mail without downloading it from the mail server. e. It enables multiple users to easily share a central mailbox.
14. What Network layer protocol does the traceroute utility use to obtain its information about paths between a source and destination?
15. Which of the following commands allows you to view the routing table on your Linux workstation? (Choose all that apply.)
a. netstat -r e. route
16. When you use the mtr command to assess the path from your office workstation to a server on your company's WAN that's located in Spain, what is the first hop the mtr command will display?
b. Your default gateway's IP address
17. If you know that your colleague's TCP/IP host name is JSMITH, and you need to find out his IP address, which of the following commands should you type at your shell prompt or command prompt?
a. nslookup jsmith
18. Suppose your office's only DNS server was down, and you wanted to view the DNS address record for your company's domain. Which of the following TCP/IP utilities would allow you to do this?
19. What utility might you use to find out whether your ISP's router is responsible for the poor network performance your organization experiences on a particular afternoon?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together