5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- ____ is a type of etching that can be used to produce the effects of crayon or pencil drawings.
- Peter Eisenman placed 2711 gray, concrete ____ side by side to create a sense of claustrophobia at the Berlin Holocaust Memorial.
- Context has a profound influence on style. Artworks are very much a product of ____.
- The compositional unity in Thomas Hart Benton's Palisades derives primarily from ____.
- The Synthetic Cubists were the first to create papiers collés, or collages, in the early 20th century. The two major figures of this movement were ____.
- a curvilinear shapes and lines
- b Soft-ground etching
- c stelae
- d their culture at a moment in time
- e Picasso and Braque
5 Multiple choice questions
- a growing middle class
- Jewish artists killed in the Holocaust
- gender ideology
- Golden Mean
5 True/False questions
Which of the following types of printmaking is not an essentially linear media?
5. etching → mezzotint
Due to its ____, clay is frequently used to make three-dimensional preparatory sketches for other sculptures. → Soft-ground etching
Which of the following statements about steel cable construction, first used to build the Brooklyn Bridge, is not true?
1. It has great tensile strength.
2. It is flexible, allowing the roadway underneath to sway.
3. It can be aesthetically pleasing.
4. Its many parallel wires share the stress.
5. It can only span very short distances. → National World War II Memorial
The underlying symbolism in an artist's depiction of an elderly man stooped over amongst leafless, snow-covered trees in the depths of winter is most likely which of the following? → The man is approaching death.
In his famous 1907 photograph, Alfred Stieglitz captures the juxtaposition of the upper and lower classes on board the Kaiser Wilhelm II ship. This photograph is titled ____. → The Steerage