Create an account
1. Experiencing sudden pain is to _______ as recognizing that you are suffering a heart attack is to ________.
The impact of boredom and fatigue on people's absolute thresholds is highlighted by
Signal detection theory
3. If a visual image is first presented subliminally, the chance of a person later recognizing the same briefly presented image is improved. This best illustrates:
That information can be processed outside from conscious awareness.
If you move your watchband up your wrist an inch or so, you will feel it for only a few moments. This best illustrates:
5. Visible lights have ________ wavelengths than radio waves and _______ wavelengths than X-rays.
6. The central focal point in the retina where cones are heavily concentrated is known as the:
Visual information is processed by ganglion cells ________ it is processed by rods and cones and ________ it is processed by bipolar cells
8. Some stroke victims lose the capacity to perceive motion but retain the capacity to perceive shapes and colors. Others lose the capacity to perceive colors but retain the capacity to perceive movement and form. These peculiar visual disabilities best illustrate our normal capacity for:
The opponent-process theory is most useful for explaining one of the characteristics of
Digital hearing aids produce ________ sound by restricting the range of sound _______.
13. Infant rats deprived of their mothers' grooming touch produce ________ growth hormone and have a ________ metabolic rate.
The absolute threshold for taste sensations is relatively _______ among people who smoke and relatively ________ among people who abuse alcohol.
1. Interpreting new sensory information within the framework of a past memory illustrates:
Damage to a region of the temporal lobe essential to recognizing faces results in a condition known as:
4. The size of the difference threshold is greater for heavier objects than for lighter ones. This best illustrates:
7. The phenomenon of blindsight best illustrates that visual information can be processed without:
8. Even with sunglasses on, grass appears equally as green as it does without glasses. This best illustrates:
9. The number of complete sound waves that strike one's eardrum in a given second determines the _______ of the sound.
10. The hammer, anvil, and stirrup are three tiny bones that transmit vibrations to the:
Herman von Helmholtz developed both a(n) ________ theory of color discrimination and a ________ theory of pitch discrimination.
12. Elderly people typically have an especially _______ absolute threshold for _______ pitched sounds.
A drink's strawberry odor enhances our perception of its sweetness. This best illustrates
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together