Create an account
In the late 1980's, the US pressured this country to overthrow General Manuel Noriega who had seized power and threatened US interests. In 1980, US inviaded this country.
- only nation to have atlantic/pacific coastlines
- provides only land entrance to the continent from panama
- *emeralds* 90%
- among the first nation to have a commercial airline
- it was a penal colony
- "devil's island" was a pretty badass prison, and prisoners hated it because they were political prisoners from france
- Kourou is now the launching site for a space agency
- formerly british
- resembles an asian country
- asians (60%) vs. black (40%)
- slaves replaced by asians
- in the 1970's, it attracted religious cults such as....
- jonestown (massacre) american leader had everyone kill using arsenic in koolaid
- 30% hindu
- many ethnic groups: hindu, black, na's, chinese, euros
- black decendents called bush negroes live like na's
- 5th largest nation in the world
- borders every coutnry ***except equador and chile
- in 1822, gained independence from portugal and became south america's only monarchy
- rio (original capital) replaced by brasilia
- hydroelectric power
- poorest country in south america
- ***lost 2 wars to chile and paraguay
- land locked (no water)
- named after Simon Bolivar (like george wash.) who broguht an end to spanish rule
- two capitals (la paz + sucre)
- chile had political freedom until a marxist was overthrown by the millitary
- freedom began with... bernardo o'higgans
- ***easter island lies next to the mainland
- means "equator" in spanish
- quito is the capital
- "city of eternal spring" because of high altitude
- owns the galapagos islands
- emperor's new groove!
- the western hemisphere's oldest continously inhabited city (cuzco)
- lot of fish
- lot of birds
- lot of bird ****
- they sell bird **** (guano) in the fertilizing industry
- world's leading beef exporter
- Juan Peron --> heavily taxed agriculture to pay for social programs.
- his wife, Eva, was really charismatic and everyone liked her, but she got a brain tumor and died
- falkland islands, british possesion, has lots of sheep. argentina tried to capture is but failed.
- Gran Chaco to the west and the Oriental to the east
- everyone thought there was oil, but there wasn't
- grows the "axbreaker" tree
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together