5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Ice Cores
- Convection Currents
- Transform Boundary
- Chemical Weathering
- a The constant rising and cooling of magma in the Earth's mantle. The heat from the inner core is what causes this motion. They cause plate movement in earth's crust.
- b Long cylinders of ice used to study Earth's atmosphere. Trapped gases and dust inside the ice cores tell scientists when volcanoes erupted and how the climate used to be.
- c The gradual change in a species over time.
- d When two plates slide past each other. They cause earthquakes.
- e The process by which the chemical make-up of a rock changes.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A fossil embedded in a rock layer. The age of the rock layer is the same age as the fossils embedded in it.
- A gap in a rock layer. It reduces scientists understanding of Earth's history because it's a missing piece of information.
- The DENSEST layer of the Earth that is made of a solid ball of iron.
- The next dense layer of the Earth that surrounds the inner core. It's made of a liquid ball of iron.
- The era of the Geologic Time Scale when the dinosaurs both appeared and became extinct.
5 True/False questions
Subduction Boundary → When two plates move towards each other, but the dense oceanic crust sinks under the continental crust. They cause volcanoes.
Divergent Boundary → When two continental plates move towards each other. They cause mountains.
Mantle → The thickest layer of the Earth. It is where convection currents happen.
Survival of the Fittest → Organisms that are the fittest will live the longest and produce the most offspring. Then they pass their favorable characteristics onto their offspring.
Paleozoic Era → The era of the Geologic Time Scale when life first appeared in the oceans. It came after Precambrian Time.